Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight R, Emerald, slow starting

KenEvans

My SLR takes about 4 or 5 goes from cold to start and is a takes a little cranking when hot too. This is with no throttle and then giving it just a touch when it catches.

It's a slow cranker anyway because it has a 15Ah battery to keep the weight down.

I'll be looking at the Emerald settings in the next day or two. What should I adjust to make the starting a bit more "on the button"?

Thanks

Ken

If it seems slow at cranking Ken, it'd also be worth checking the advance at the zero load, 0, 500 and 1000 rpm sites in conjunction with the cranking advance to see how much is being applied.

I found a great improvement when I knocked mine back a little - it always started well hot or cold without throttle when cold. (although there was always a nervous moment when it was lumpy for a few seconds until it gained some temperature and then went into a nice solid idle)

If you want to take a look at my map for comparison, you can find it in the Emerald Maps Library link.

Best of luck *thumbup*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Worth knowing that the fuelling on cranking is based on LS0 SS0 (and starting enrichment) with no interpolation to neighbouring sites until the engine runs above 500 rpm. The starting enrichment is tapered off after starting. I think it takes about 15 seconds for the fuelling to be truly running on the base map (with warm-up corrections).

Ken,

as well as the fuelling and ignition, you also need enough air. Does your car still run SLR TB setup with an idle air control valve like Trish's car?

Worth considering whether it was ever possible to do an out of car start (something may have shifted or IACV problem) or did it never start up that well in the first place?

Happy to take a look at the map if you need a hand.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬 or Mrs Locust's Blue Roadsport Academy 😬

how old is your emerald ?

There was a mod released a few years back that (and I may be wrong on the detail of this bit, but basically have a word with Karl @ emerald if your missing an update !) allowed the engine to recognise the firing order quicker and fire up on the first revolution.

I had the mod done and mine was much quicker to fire up - just like a tin top in fact.

Also I had to adjust the timing advance as K82rum says at cranking as the engine was working against the starter / battery.

Dave

Taffia rear gunner

Blimey - there's a lot to think about up there!

The Emerald is six years old and the software hasn't been updated since then. It doesn't have an IACV and the throttle body balance was set up very carefully by Dave Andrews.

It sounds like I should have a chat with Emerald.

Thank you *thumbup*

Do you have an air temp sender fitted to your tb's/emerald? The fuelling is dependant on the air temp (IIRC), so if your ecu has no idea how hot/cold it is, it might struggle to start.

Also check whether the cold start is actually set up correctly in the map. It has been known (like on my car for example) for a well known engine mapper not to set this up correctly - mainly due to arriving at the rr with a hot engine...

Ben