Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Concerning noise from tintop - advice needed

Alba 7

Calling the Blatchat oracle....

This morning my 'other' car (2003 Skoda Octavia diesel) started making the most appaling noises. It only seems to be coming from the offside front wheel and it only happens on the overrun, when the clutch is dipped and other no / low engine load situations. As soon as a reasonable amount of engine load is applied the noise goes away.

It is clearly road speed related and at 30mph and above it is a low grumbling / rumbling sound. At lower speeds it far more noticeable and is a graunchy sound (possibly with a bit of metal on metal mixed in as well). At walking speed through a car park it was noticeable to pedestrians, one who said it sounded like a rock crushing machine. At walking speed I could also sense a very slight vibration in the steering wheel with the same frequency as the noise that was coming from the wheel.

The sound doesn't appear to be affected by applying the brakes (it continues unabated) and neither is it impacted by applying steering angle in either direction - this makes me think it is not disc / pad related or a wheel bearing (I could be wrong though).

Any clues as to what it mighht be and is safe to continue driving it (I've a 20 mile jouney to make this afternoon)?

Not sure if it is a coincidence but Costco replaced two tyres on the front of the car on Sunday. It definitely wasn't doing this before the work was done.

Thanks for your help,

Nick.

Jono,

This happened before (again when Costco had fitted tyres) and the same CV joint was replaced in Jan this year. I can't imagine what they might have done but there does seem to be a pattern emerging - of course it could just be unfortunate coincidence.

Worrying that you are getting through CV joints at such a rate ! I had two TDi Octavia estates, and never had any CV trouble. Almost sounds like the tyre fitters are doing something daft like trying to lift the car by something they shouldn't, or sabotaging bits for extra work 😳

Can you jack up that corner of the car and spin the wheel by hand, then push and pull it to check for unusual movement, or listen for the noise. Loose wheel nuts would certainly make it noisy !

Good luck

7 related photos

Just had a quick errand to run and the sound actually lessens on extreme lock but come back as soon as it gets to nearer to straight ahead.

I've checked wheel nuts as Neil and others have suggested - not as tight as I would have done them myself, so jumped up and down on the wheel wrench a bit to tighten them up. Wil see if this makes a difference but I'll be surprised.

Have done a fair bit of reversing to get into parking spots and this doesn't seem to have lessened the noise any ☹️

Rolling to a stop is most disconcerting as the whole wheel seems to groan just before coming to rest. Pulling away again seems to be accompanied by a definite clonk sound.

If it is the CV joint, is it just coincidence that on both occassions Costco had replaced tyres immediately prior to it failing, or could they be doing something clumsy? Last one (only just 6 months ago) cost me a fortune in labour as the garage couldn't separate it due to some sealant that had been used.