Click here if you are having website access problems ×

replacement battery wisdom?

millsn

Red top / other lightweight solution / banner. What's the latest recommendation? car is used intermittently. I have a super duper charger that'll do either already. Are gel ones really expensive? reliable?

no.6

I'd talk Powervamp about a gell type battery, they are more resilient that normal batteries as well as being lighter. They are a little bit more money but it's not a huge difference.

I've had a Hawker Odyssey for 4 years and completly flatten it at least 3 times due to various electrical problems and it's still going strong.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

*arrowup* *thumbup*

If you disconnect a fully charged Powervamp, so there's no drain on it from immobiliser etc, you can leave it for a year without it being on a charger and it will still start the car! *thumbup* (and they don't need checking for fluid level if left on a conditioner for long periods).

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

and they don't need checking for fluid level if left on a conditioner for long periods
At the risk of a hijack, I was under the impression that a Banner battery was a maintenance-free, sealed unit. Should I be checking fluid levels?

If you do find that it needs water check the output voltage of your alternator (and if you use one, your charger) Most modern batteries are intended to be maintenance-free but will gas if the charge voltage is too high. 14.4v is generally considered OK for cyclic use and is a reasonable upper limit for the alternator. Any charger you use as a long-term maintenance charge should not be above 13.8v.

I've had 5 years and still running out of the Redtop 13Ah one. Amazing batt. Never loses any charge always starts the car (touches wood) and much lighter and hassle free than a lead acid.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Powervamp look good. The Redtop 13A is a fraction lighter than their lightest at 4.75kg *wink* BUT those PowerVamp ones are a fair bit cheaper.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 10 Jun 2008 18:52:53