Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bike engines and MOTs

andy oliver

AFAIK emissions testing is just coming in for bikes. The fact that you have a bike engine in a car makes no difference to the MOT, to VOSA a car is a car is a car and not a bike *confused*. Even though when the engine was on a bike it was not emissions tested 😬 😬 😬

I hope that makes sense 😬

I think that in that case you would have to get documented proof of the engines date of manufacture and submit it to VOSA with a plea for being treated as a special case,

but I've not heard of anyone going down that path so I can't really be sure. I do know that if you put a newer engine in an older car you can get away with it, e.g. an 03 zetec in a 91 car. 😬

AFAIK emissions testing is just coming in for bikes

2010 IIRC *mad* best to hang on to OE exhausts. Just as well the tree huggers dont know how bad fuel consumption is on big bikes too *wink*

Took my uber beetle for an mot today and had a chat with the boss about my blackbird mot due july as it will my first but not its.

He looked in his book for caterhams which said if the 10th letter of the vin number is less than W (I assume he means A to V) and the 6th is C or K then it just has a visible inspection.

If it doesn't comply with the above he has to look at a list of caterhams for the emission figures. However not suprisingly the list doesn't mention any becs.

I suggested he might just stick the probe up whatever else is in the workshop but he didn't seem too pleased. I did leave a drink for the boys and hope they will look after me in July.

I previously understood they put the reg number in the computer and it told them but he disagreed.

If charm and beer money fails I have a plan B and a friendly acquaintence but further away.

Seems to me to be a bit like the noise tests at trackdays. No one really knows how to treat becs. Quite nice being an enigma.

Will

Oh forgot to say he also said if I could prove it was a bike engine he would test it as a bike.

Derr I said it is pretty obvious its a bike engine as its very small, says honda on the side and still has a bike gear change but he said I would need a letter from caterham saying it was.

clear as mud when I left but I think as Mike said it is best to search out the enligtened.

Will

• Area Representative

Will

I can confirm what Martin says, mine came up as visible smoke only last August, even though it has the emission figures on the log book *confused*. Best to conveniently forget to take your log book when you go for MOT *wink*.

Nick

My FB is up for MOT on wed. Passed oK last year but the tester (and old mate) did pull the probe in and out a bit to get the appropriate figure 😬 It looked like he new what he was doing. *biggrin* Needless to say its booked in at the same place again.

Trevor *cool*

PINK and Proud and LOUD

• 1 month later...

Booked in for 11 am today *eek*

I am using a local place but I know he is pretty strict as he spent ages on the 911 which is clearly very well maintained and didn't have anything wrong.

I will report back later of what they make of a seven with a bike engine and no windscreen.

Will

Did mine yesterday ( carb engine year 2000) , no problem , visable smoke only , passed fine.

Not even any bending of rules as emission thing came up with Not Applicable on the blokes computer thing. So happy.

Front brakes 136% efficient whatever that means!!

Neil

PASSED NO PROBLEMS 😬

Half an hour on the ramp(backwards) and an hours chat, 35 quid and all is well for 12 months.

It passed with no rule bending as it came up visible smoke test only. Must be a bike engine thing as I would have thought 2000 cars would require emissions but I don't care now.

Only niggles were non worky number plate light fixed with 3 smacks and non worky horn until I remembered I had nicked the fuse for the ecu last week.

It wouldn't fit on the brake rollers so had a test drive in his size 10 boots. After stalling it a few times he declared the brakes very good.

Will

Ps if anyone needs a sensible mot in north essex give me a shout.

Just an update on my FB. Unfortunatly my mate was on his hols so ended up with a young chap who unfortunatly was not so considerate and failed me on emissions. As its on carbs I asked if he would adjust them to suit. "Oh no thats a bike engine mate, take it to a bike garage" So off I went. Try finding a bike garage with an accessible gas analyser.When I did they were stuck at the back of the workshop through a narrow doorway which only bikes could get through.

To cut a long storey short, I booked a retest and just before going down leaned off all the carbs (noting the original settings) and it passed with the comment that it was just about down to cat CO2 levels. Needless to say I have readjusted the carbs and will know what to do next year. *wink*

I forget to say that inamongst all this I had phoned VOSA to try and establish what was required for my car. They were not much help other than giving me the gas levels required. However in the chaps questioning as to how many wheels etc it had, he informed me that if it had 4 wheels, a bike engine and weighted under 400Kg it could be classified as a Quad and not require testing.An interesting thought , Is this what Julian T is aiming for,I wonder.

Trevor *cool*

PINK and Proud and LOUD