Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 MOT Emissions Failure UPDATED

symo

My 2002 R300 has just failed its MOT. I’m totally gutted as I was looking forward to driving to Stoneleigh at the weekend.

The MOT was done at Robe & Hitchens who are a well respected Caterham friendly garage in Surrey as I’m sure lots of you are aware of.

The results of the emissions test were as follows: -

Fast Idle Test

CO: 0.001% vol (Max limit: 0.3) - PASS

HC: 2 ppm vol (Max limit: 200) - PASS

Lambda: 1.542 (Max limit:1.09) - FAIL

Second Fast Idle Test

CO: 0.001% vol - PASS

HC: 0 ppm vol - PASS

Lambda: 1.257 – FAIL

Both Lambda’s were tried and obtained similar results so I’m assuming these are OK. Phil from R&H suggested that re-map may be the only solution.

The car is a bog standard R300 and has covered 10K miles.

I would really grateful for any advice, suggestions or recommendations on resolving this. Of course one of my biggest problems now is that the car is SORNED and can’t be driven anywhere except for another MOT.

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by - symo on 14 May 2008 06:41:36

I'm afraid she's way way too lean. Has the map been altered at any stage? I presume it went through MOT previous year no problem? Has anything changed? On the plus side is CAT is working *tongue* Have you altered the TPS sensor positioning on the TB's at any stage?

BUSA POWWWER

R+H are not quite as friendly as you may think.

Give me a call on 0800 308 1010 tomorrow to discuss if you wish.

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

Is your R300 EU2 or EU3?

Re-mapping is not an option for an EU3 engine!

Could it be the throttle pot that needs re-alignment?

If it's an EU2 I'd claim that it would take less than an hour to make a drivable map that'll pass MOT too. Only issue is that you have to wire in the connector for the programming cable.

/regin

My guess is that the throttle pot is out of adjustment. A quick fix might be to up the fuel pressure a little to cover the lean spot, and adjustable FPR is probably cheaper than a remap, you can adjust it back afterwards.

Oily

Thanks for your replies: -

@ timbo: The map has not been altered. I’m ashamed to say the car was not used last year due to work commitments but did pass (only just) its first MOT the year before. I have not made any adjustments to the TB’s, but its beginning to look like I might need to.

@ Bricol: Thanks for the info, I did not realise that.

@ jeremybu: Thanks, I’ll give you a call.

@ RJ: It’s an EU2 (I think); it has roller barrels and a MBE ECU (part no. 72908 with 967BC474 software). Any recommendations on where best to get the mapping done? Do you have any details of the wiring for the connector?

@ oily: Thanks, I’ll definitely have a look at the roller barrel set up this weekend, I’m sure I’ve got a set of instructions that I got via Blatchat a couple of years ago. Do you have any further info/advice on the adjustable FPR set up?

A couple of (well three actually) further questions: -

1) Does anybody know if it is possible to measure the output of the lambda sensor with a multi-meter or scope so that I can see if any alterations to the roller barrel set up make a difference to the lambda value?

2) Could the problem be a leak in exhaust manifold? Has anybody else experienced this?

3) If I do eventually end up going down the re-map route, would it be wise to first fit verniers? Would there be any mileage in changing the MBE for an Emerald unit, I’m thinking along the lines of easier downloading of an ‘MOT Map’ once a year, or is this totally over the top?

Thanks again,

Pete

Pete, if you do change to an Emerald, you can have the luxury of 3 different and switchable (on the fly) maps. Dave Walker set mine up with 3 separate maps ie No 1 = Power, No 2 = Economy (if you are just schlepping along on the motorway at cruising speed) and finally No 3 = MOT map.

A great little gimmick and impresses the hell out of the blokes in the pub! *wink* 😬

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 2 May 2008 15:41:26

But with an Emerald you can remap yourself - I adjusted mine while it was being tested for MOT, it is easy to adjust the fuelling until you pass then put it back to where it was afterwards (or as Brent says, save the setting for next year). It is an expensive solution for just MOT purposes though, but handy for other upgrades. . . .

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

You have my sympathies. My bog std 2003 R300 will not pass the emissions except with a lot of work by caterham before the test *confused*

I just found friendly garage and funny it passes every time.

Cant beat it though 😬

Charlie

High Lambda sounds like an air leak in the exhaust to me, check and seal all the connections, out of interest was the O2 reading high on the emissions test results if you got them?

Just re read the test results and as the HC and CO readings are almost zero I suspect that it could do with a little more fuel, can you temporarily restrict the return from the fuel pressure regulator with some sort of adjustable clamp arrangement to increase the fuel pressure a little?

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 2 May 2008 20:03:28

I think I have the information on the mapping lead and wiring in. Drop me a blatmail, then I shall send it to you.

The man always mentioned when it's an MBE is Steve Greenald of Race Engine Calibration. Don't have the contact details as he's a bit far from me (I'm in Denmark) so I had to do my own mapping.

Have you checked the balance of the roller barrels?

/regin

ECU Function Mapping plug (DB9 female)

pin 1 Fuel trim pin 6

pin 4 +5v pin 4

pin 5 ana. gnd pin 5

pin 6 power gnd pin 1

pin 14 ECU Serial RX pin 3

pin 26 Ign. trim pin 7

pin 32 ECU serial TX pin 2

The mapping wire can be found at

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU/Mapping_Lead_Picture.gif

Hope this helps

/regin

Edited by - RJ on 2 May 2008 20:39:31

You have my sympathies re. the test failure, but I agree with Myles; always get a test early in case of 'problems'. You are allowed to have the test up to 1 month before expiry.

Hope you get sorted, and for my 2 pen'orth; it sounds like an airleak !

With regards to emission testing on Caterham 7's registered on or after 1st August 1998 they must all have what is known as a BET test (basic emissions test introduced in February 2003 for kit cars) during an MOT Test unless there is written proof that the engine fitted is older than this date or the car was subject to different test at the SVA test when first built.

Therefore all MOT tests carried out at Robe & Hitchens are done in the prescribed manner as per the MOT testing manual,so the comments posted by Jeremy Burgess on this subject seem sad and underhand and can't be justified.

I personally have worked at this garage for the last 30 years with well respected people in the Lotus 7 Club and have done many MOT's on Caterhams which almost all pass with flying colours so to put this into perspective we at R&H have MOT'ed 17 Caterhams this year so far to which 2 have failed on emissions,that makes a pass rate of 88% !

As far as being friendly goes i personally have done 2 Get To Know Your 7 Events and have offered advice on how to rectify emission failures so adding comments like this doesn't really help anyone. *wavey*

UPDATE

Thanks for all your help and advice; I am now holding an MOT certificate.

I would especially like to thank the lads at Robe & Hitchen’s who really went out of their way in helping to get my car legitimately through the MOT emissions test. I am in no way connected to Robe & Hitchen’s and therefore have no hesitation in recommending their excellent services to other Caterham owners.

After the initial MOT failure and following your suggestions, I re-sealed the exhaust joints, balanced the roller barrels and adjusted the TPS. Although this did make the difference needed to scrape through, I am now convinced that the map needs some work, but first I’m going to enjoy driving the car for while (it’s been over a year since she’s seen the light of day!).

Thanks again,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete - what did you seal the exhaust leaks with? I have leaks around the 2 into 1 collectors and suspect it is going to fail next week's MOT.

Answer now found on TechTalk Thanks, Tim

Edited by - TimNeill on 24 May 2008 07:05:33

'if you don't have a cat fitted'

I know this might be out of context but surely a 2002 R300 has to have a CAT fitted to get through an MOT.

I only ask because my MOT is approaching and it doesn't have a CAT fitted currently?

the last R300 with Roller Barrels (I think) and finished in super fast yellow (fly yellow)

I'm sure mine's dead.

There was nothing in the hand book about feeding anything inside the Cat 😬

is that the NSPCA knocking at the door *eek*

the last R300 with Roller Barrels (I think) and finished in super fast yellow (fly yellow)