Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level 3rd Brake Light

Dick Whittington

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just fitted high level light today, got it from halfords £15'ish and took about an hour to fit, run the cable behind the carpet in the boot and wire it in to the r/n/s light cluster. Worked out which was the brake light wire, shaved back the insulation on it and made a mechanical joint covered with some insulation tape, wired the earth to the exsisting earth point and job done *smile*

Several mentions in this thread and elsewhere of fitting a resistor to the feed for these lights.

I'm about to replace my high level brake light which has blown a few of its LED's. My understanding is that fitting a series resistor will "tone down" the power supply a bit and give some protection to the vulnerable LED's. Is this correct please? If so, what size resistor should I be fitting?

I know nothing about electronics so please speak to me as to a child! *confused*

Michael

I would hope that any 12v LED brake light available would have relevant resistors incorporated, there is no specific resistor, it depends on number and type of LED and how they have been wired up.

if you glance over this you will see what I mean .

I am presuming from what you say you are not building your lamp from scratch, you could buy a light and measure current draw, then work out the resistor required to drop voltage a couple of volts, which would make them dimmer but last a bit longer if you wanted to

Tim

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 3 Oct 2011 21:27:04

• Area Representative

Quoting pmobbs: 
Flashing brake light circuit is here . It will run both LED and filament lights but LEDs will need a resistor in series with the light. Have a PCB design if anyone wants to have a shot. P.

Nice one *thumbup*

I'll have a crack at that over the winter *smile*

All the best

Richard

• 1 month later...
At the risk of sounding like a numpty 😳 how do you plug the subloom into the existing wiring. I have a bought a light and it has wires without plugs. I have found under the near side rear a load of wires and plugs that obviously go to the rear brake cluster. I was thinking of buying the subloom to make life easier but not quite sure how it all hangs together. Better do a few more 😳 😳 😳 😳