Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level 3rd Brake Light

Dick Whittington

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fitted a third break light and with a bit of squinting in the dark and with a torch under the car providing light I discovered a gap in the boot floor with just enough room to pass a cable ... I eased the carpet up at the edges ... saved lifting the boot floor ....you never know! It was winter and no light in the garage hence the torch .. and the discovery.

Fil

I'm going to do the maplin 'rainlight' type option in the middle of the bars that cross over, as I want it to be seen with the hood on.

I've got all the bits now (light, CC sub loom, resistor).

Can someone give me really basic instructions regarding the wiring, i.e. which wire goes through the resistor.

Many thanks

Steff

• Area Representative

Hi Steff,

I saw this thread when it started and did the same mod a couple of weeks back and i put the resistor in the +ve feed to the LED and it works a treat. *thumbup*

All the best

Richard

Can someone give me really basic instructions regarding the wiring, i.e. which wire goes through the resistor.

Makes no difference. Resistor and LED are in series, so can be in either order. There's a slight advantage in putting the resistor on the positive side in that if your wiring goes to pot and you short the LED input wire to earth, the resistor will limit the fireworks. So take the 12V in wire, connect it one side (either side) of the resistor. Connect the other side of the resistor to the red wire of the light. Connect the white wire of the light directly to earth, or to the earth wire (black? brown?) of the subloom if it has one.

• 2 months later...

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Quoting Stef: 
Do you know if it is visible with a hood on?

that was the only thing tempting me to go for the round maplin one.

With a Half Hood .... no problem. Don't use a full hood any more, so can't comment. At night it would certainly be ok, as it would fill the hood with red light !!! I was watching the road signs in the rear view mirror at night on Tuesday ...... when I braked, they showed up very bright red for a long way back *thumbup*

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 31 Mar 2011 11:23:34

Looking at my 7 with half hood in place, the rear flap that fits over the top of the roll bar would definitely obscure the light if fitted on or just below the roll bar. I definitely like the idea of an additional high visibility brake light so have placed an order. However, I don't have a spare wheel / carrier so I am considering fitting it to the rear panel as high as it will go above the number plate and the wiring can feed through into the boot so all wiring will be concealed.

Mine arrived today from Car Builder, along with the CC extension lead. After a great deal of thought I decided that fitting it to the roll bar would interfere with my bullet cam position which is usually centre of the roll bar using a Dogcam clamp. Furthermore it would not be visible with my half hood fitted. I debated whether or not to fit it to the rear panel above the number plate but did not want to drill a hole for the wires.

Eventually I came up with the idea of fastening it to the boot cover using a couple of black cable ties, which looks quite neat with no visible wiring. This solution is of course only practical if you don't have a spare wheel ... see photo here

When I first connected it, it didn't work but I soon discovered that I had connected up the wrong polarities so swapped the connections and it lit up nicely.

Just bought Maplin LED cluster recommended in thread above. The back has an angle on it almost perfect for mounting at cross bars on track day roll bar. I am part way through designing a circuit that will flash the stop light a variable number of times before going steady and that can be switched to be steady or, with a separate power connection be switched to be a continuously flashing rain light. It's based on a circuit I found on the web and which I have twiddled a bit. Simulates OK - hope to have a working real world version in the next few weeks. Let me know if it is of interested and I'll make the circuit/PCB available on the web somewhere. My experience of becoming a recent 7 owner makes me think that a high level brake light is a must and I don't have a rear wheel holder for the CC one.

• 2 months later...
  • Area Representative

here's a couple of photo's of mine.

I made it using the Maplin LED cluster and resistor that many have used before, but I also bought a black plastic box from Maplin to mount the LED on and to hide the resistor in, which also has the added benefit of screw holes in tabs at each end which can be used to tie wrap it to the centre of the cross in the roll bar *thumbup*

Plus it's a nice little winter project which is easy to do 😬

Don't know about skeetsy but I used a stainless 150mm P clip from CBS. A bolt goes through the back of the box and then through the P clip. Pictures here and here . The little switch switches in/out a circuit that causes the stop light to flash. The LED in the base is a repeater you can see from the driver's seat (actually needs to be in the back of the box not the bottom!). The box is prevented from rotating by a small pan-head bolt (hidden under the rubber strip) that goes through a hole drilled in the P clip and the box. The rubber feet stop any rattles. P.

• Area Representative

Sorry about the broken link.

Try this one instead *smile*

All the best

Richard

PS: Pmobbs, I'd be interested in the details of your flasher circuit *redface*

Edited by - skeetsy on 1 Oct 2011 19:55:17