Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can I use the water from my condensing boiler for the iron?

Westfield

We have a condensing central heating boiler which has a drain which produces water which currently vents to the drain… Can I use this water in the steam iron? We are in a hard water area and the holes in the iron become blocked very quickly…

Edited to say I am back! Didn’t expect to be able to post as I only renewed a couple of days ago and have not received my details yet!

1997 HPC

Edited by - Tony L on 28 Mar 2008 10:46:47

Or - if you have an older freezer (i.e. not frost-free), any ice build-up inside is condensed from water vapour in the air. Chisel it off and thaw it for distilled water.

Or- just use what comes out of the tap, and de-scale it regularly ?

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 28 Mar 2008 10:49:35

• Area Representative

As Ian (Wrightpayne) said, boiler flue condensate is acidic so should not be put in your steam iron. It is acceptable to discharge it into foul drains though, you just have to be careful with certain drainage materials to avoid corrosion.

I wouldn't recommend thawed fridge or freezer ice either, unless you want to block up your jets with crud and your shirts to smell of five year old bolognese sauce (or whatever it is that lurks in your deepest corners - there's always something).

Tesco sell 2.5l of deionised water for £1.30, which is what I use. Not free but it is cheaper than Highland Spring mineral water *thumbup* *smile*

Crudders

Thanks guys,

Looks like we have to buy it then…

Crudders

“You just have to be careful with certain drainage materials to avoid corrosion.”

What types are susceptible? The runn off from the boiler goes into a drain that was installed as part of our extension which is 12 months old. The new drain runs under the extension into the foul on the drive, so I am keen for no corrosion problems there…

1997 HPC

I realise that the L7C forums are a wealth of information and sometimes the collective are able to help with some pretty unusual requests for help.

However can I suggest a voluntary ban on ironing related questions 😔 and the like which should be reserved for other forums with subscribers more orientated to these kind of questions *confused*

well its more of a chit chat question than a techtalk question...i think...

I *think* techtalk is meant to be for all technical questions about caterhams... and chitchat is everything else.... but some people use techtalk for any technical/expert help and chitchat for posts about kittens/red ken etc etc

---

my mind is blank....

[chemist]

Boil some tap water and let it cool. This will knock out most of the temporary hardness (calcium bicarbonate based) which is most of the problem in the UK. Permananet hardness (magnesium based) such as is found in places like Burton on Trent (beer is best made with hard water) is less suited to this approach, it doesn't drop out as much on boiling.

Either way this water can be used in a steam iron and the furring will be less than with unboiled water. Kettle descaler is cheap, so are new irons.

[/chemist]

• Area Representative

Tony - any metal will potentially suffer. The main risk is copper waste branches, particularly if the condensate enters at a level higher than the waste water so that no dilution takes place. Cast iron will corrode but the wall thickness is (or should be) pretty chunky so perforation is likely to take many years.

If you have any metal pipework in your drainage installation, dilution of the condensate by waste water is the thing to aim for.

Crudders

P.S. I rather like the 'domestic tech' threads on here. Does that make me odd *confused*