Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil filter fitting and pressure sender.

Tim V-W

This hereis the electrical connection on the oil filter housing on the 1800K I am fitting. Does anyone know if this is a pressure sender connection and if so can I use it instead of the screw in type currently fitted to my 1400?

The 1800 is from an Elise if that helps.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

Been there and done that! You have several choices:

If your 1400 is around the same vintage as mine (1993), it will have a largish alterator and a vertical oil pressure sensor (with a 10mm thread I think).

It looks like your 1800 block used the later (smaller) alternator which has a different oil pressure switch (with a 12mm thread I think).

You can:

Buy the later type Sender (about £30 from CC), but I'm not 100% sure your alternator (if its the larger one) will clear it.

Use the oil filter housing and sender from your 1400 (the old gaskit should be o.k, but only cost 50p anyway)

Make up a remote pipe/adaptor and fit the sender somewhere else. I got some second hand bits to allow a sender to be fitted to the RHS of the engine out of harms way. I'm also fitting a later alternator and alternator bracket. (Thanks to RAW)

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Hi Tim,

I am just getting to the end of my 1400ss to 1800ss conversion.

I used the 1800 oil filter housing as my 1400 appeared to have a hairline crack in it. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge which I connected to the position that currently houses the electrical switch in your photo.

On top of the oil filter housing there is a grub screw, I removed this and fitted the oil pressure warning light switch. I have retained the big 1400 alternator and all seems to fit OK.

I could mail over some photos if you would like to see the finished article.

Chris