Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical - house

markc

I have a very annoying intermitant problem with our house electrics.

The RCD on the main fuse box keeps tripping.

This happened mainly in the early morning 5ish but is now tripping during the day as well.

How can I find out what is tripping it -

Are there any electricians local (hampton court) that would like some work ?

Regards

MarkC

Im not up that early opening the fridge *cool*

Heating comes up 6:45 so ruled that out

have turned all outside lights and water features off - its happened during the day.

Had thought it could be the ups on the server ?? - but never seen this before and i've installed a few in my time 😬

thanks

MarkC

I would isolate 1 circuit at a time and see if it still happens. Caveat - this means the heating may not come on if you isolate it...

I used to have a fault where the burglar alarm would false trip. Turned out it was the CH which had a fault at shutdown - it turned the pump on and off afew times and generated spikes that tripped the alarm. You could have something similar in your house.

Mark,

This is a long shot but I have just had a similar problem which occurred at about 5pm!

After isolating the respective circuits I discovered the reason accidentally. ..... condensation from the microwave was running down the kitchen tiles and into the socket!!! Now I'm not suggesting this is your problem but it's something I hadn't considered myself, however, given the time of year is it feasible in your house as well?

Just a thought *wink*

Foggy

Thanks for that - I had thought about condensation - went round and made sure all the outside sockets were shut properly - a couple were not.

As I said - changed the rcd and its holding up - but we did have the lights flickering a short while ago - this would probably of tripped the rcd.

Now why would the lights flicker ??? - didnt shut the machines down tho.

MarkC

Mark

Is your consumer unit a split load or are all circuits protected by the rcd, normally lighting is not, which is why it wouldn't have tripped, its really just a question of identifying a circuit, then isolate the appliance on that circuit.

A real pain when its intermittent 🙆🏻

Martin

May not even be your problem. Could be a fault on the cable coming into your house which can appear to be your cable fault.

If you've done the checks your side advise the Elec board to see if they want to investigate as they may have a cable below ground which is about to fail (being squashed and intermittant due to temp change/amount it gets squashed).

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Graham - thanks

J&J - I have changed the RCD for a new one which is slightly higher in ampage ?? (if thats right)

Since doing so - we have noticed the lights flicker with no tripping - so now all I've got to do is find out why the lights flicker 😬

Had a sparky in on Friday and he said to put RCD on all power - in the fuse box - at £50 ish a go - with 6 fuses thats a fair whack - so will use that idea as a last resort.

Thanks to all

MarkC

Ours and various other houses in the same road all have the same problem, someone checked with the lecy board and was told it was probably due to the local schools generators starting up. They are sill investigating!

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)