EU2 engine

Light weight flywheel

dry sump system with Laminover.

Caterham sump pan

Purple pump

Seperate splitable tank

dry sump engine mount

All the suitable pipes

It was RR'd at emerald in April 07 and given a clean bill of health and has bone less than 500 miles since, showed 208 BHP at 7647rpm, 152 lbf at 6500 rpm

Dave walker said it was one of the best engines on 285H cams he had tested

Total milage since built is approx 10K

This is still in the car can be heard running/ driven

Not included, starter, water rail, alternator, flywheel, exhaust

Price £4000 complete

I would consider installing it in your car if you require (for a negotiable fee)

Simon

Edited by - tiddy1 on 28 Jan 2008 10:40:28

Edited by - tiddy1 on 28 Jan 2008 20:15:31

Edited by - tiddy1 on 13 Mar 2008 10:40:31

• 2 weeks later...

What did engines from that batch of R400 race cars sell for? Nifty put one in his car IIRC?

c.£4500 wasn't it? So more than yours and yours comes with the D/S system, ECU, loom, etc. With this in mind, your price seems OK to me. Maybe you're right about the K series market *confused*

When I bought my R400 set up (which came with dry sump, engine loom, ECU, mounting braket etc .. the full kit) I paid £3500, which was the standard going rate when all the race cars converted.

I actually had a VHPD which I was going to convert to much the same spec as Simon's engine and it was going to cost well in excess of his price here, if you take into account the Emerald and the Scouse airbox, so I think his price is very reasonable.

I can only imagine the ex-race R400 Ks were set at such a low price because CC envisaged that there was going to be a glut of them and they didn't want to be holding the stock, but they did want to encourage the racers to change. Perhaps there was also the thought that the fact that they were ex-race might reduce their worth in the eyes of a potential buyer .. who was most likely not going to be a racer.

Anyway, they were silly cheap and are no longer available so that should not affect Simon's asking for a sensible price *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

tiddy1/Simon

I looked at this ad but decided to buy a VHPD with 11,500 miles on the clock from an Exige (being converted to Honda power) which cost £2,600. I hope to get a four figure sum back on the ancillaries (note the "hope" - but there is manifold. alternator, Lotus ECU, aircon pump and tubing, strater and close-ratio gearbox) so decided that that was better value.

GJT,

You are not comparing like with like.

Apart from the fact that you will incur (surprisingly large) expenses installing the VHPD into a 7 you will still end up with an engine which is widely recognised to perform below the often advertised output (both DVA and Dave Walker suggested to me that few see a genuine 180bhp in standard form).

So in reality you are comparing a 175bhp engine with a certified and very well specc'd 208 bhp engine ready to drop straight into a 7.

(Bernard Scouse box £250ish, Emerald £500+, engine mapping £200+ .. so there's another £1,000 without even bothering to think about the benefits of the other upgraded parts).

Before I found the R400 engine I had a VHPD for which I paid £1800 and to get that to a reliable 200bhp was going to cost more than Simon is offering his engine for ... and that was 2 years ago.

(And I live within a stones throw of both Scholar and Emerald so didn't bother including any transportation costs).

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 27 Feb 2008 06:44:42

For all those who think that this is an expencive engine I have listed below some of the costs which go into a 210 BHP engine, these are real costs not the ones you tell SWMBO, I know we all try and kid our selves that it wil be much cheaper, I have not added the labour time which anyone who has built an engine will know is quite considerable.

Item Cost

springs /caps £ 135

Liners £ 220

Block £ 300

oil pump £ 100

pistons/rods £ 500

Gaskets £ 70

stem seals £ 25

Head bolts £ 80

Porting £ 200

Harness £ 60

Cam bolts £ 10

DVA Cams, ECU TB £ 1,800

Valves £ 100

Bearings £ 50

Air box £ 350

Verniers £ 150

Machining £ 150

Skim +valves £ 70

flywheel bolts £ 10

Flywheel £ 300

Balancing £ 300

Plugs £ 20

Crank pulley £ 55

Plug leads £ 70

Pipes £ 60

R-R tune £ 350

Dry sump pump £ 300

Tank £ 150

sump+bits £ 500

Engine mount £ 45

Pipes+ bits £ 180

Laminover £ 190

Total £ 6900

So at £4400 its not a bad saving and you know that it works

not really, what engine you have would determine how much work would be needed needed to be done, for example if you had a xflow there is lots to change but for that price I was assuming you would keep your old engine, you would probably get £500 for you old engine

Is it worth taking it back to the top again, I can't believe that this add has had over 3500 views but very little interest, I could make it cheaper but as no one seems interested I don't see the point. I guess I am stuck with 210 BHP and won't be down grading to 120, what a hardship.......

For an additional cost I could include the rest of the car!