Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is it worth fitting the rear anti-roll bar

Angus

Whats the consensus on the usefulness of the rear antiroll bar ?

In the build manual for the R400 (Duratec), it lists the rear A/R bar as 'optional'. Just how optional is it really ? If I didnt fit it, what difference would I notice in the ride / handling ? (I intend to use the car for touring and the occasional track day).

Its a pretty long thin rod so I cannot see it providing much anti-roll (or twist) in any case, and leaving it out would simplify the build (less bits), save a little weight, and remove a possible point of failure.

What do people think ?

Angus

Rear ARB, being adjustable, can be used to fine tune the handling balance between understeer and oversteer. The difference on the 5 settings (including "disconnected") is quite noticeable even when road driving.

I would recomend fitting it and enjoying trying different settings to find a set-up you like.

Also recommend, when you get round to it and after a good few shake down miles, a full corner weight and geometry set-up to get the best from the chassis.

Lots of threads on handling balance and set-up in the past pages of BC.

Good blatting when you are up and running *thumbup*

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I think it is quite important on circuit. Leaving it off is ikely to cause a lot of understeer on track. I am not a 'fiddler' on set up, but change the rear a/r bar settings quite often, and it does make a difference. Personally, I have more questions about the need for a front a/r bar - mine is always on its softest setting.

*wavey*Hello Mick,

Angus, I am afraid that my limited knowledge of set up is all second hand from Gary the font of all wisdom on these matters. I have never run a rear anti roll bar on my Vx and my car handles fine *smokin* 🥰 (admittedly not quite as nimble as a K) although it is very stiffly sprung & therefore not so good for kerb hopping *nono*. I can recommend his adjustable front anti roll bar which makes a noticeable difference to the handling and is very easy to use *thumbup*.

Good luck with the building of your car.

L7 FUN

Edited by - Paul Gibb on 7 Jan 2008 00:35:52