Click here if you are having website access problems ×

In car camera.

metal mickey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking for a system aswell - fancy the £310 package from fast films, but have been in contact from this company in the US

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dash-Camera-Helmet-Cam-Sony-VIDEO-BULLET-DVR-RECORDER_W0QQitemZ350011096728QQihZ022QQcategoryZ107938QQcmdZViewItem

He said he will do it for $310 delivered

what do you all think - right spec? as I dont have much clue to what I am looking for!!

Rocket Communications - Events, Media, Video here

Nic, I bought my Sony bullet cam from these guys. Good product, they were easy to deal with, and when I called them with a question they answered it. So *thumbup* from me.

I have mine connected to a Video camera, but that little DVR looks nice. As for mounting the Bulletcam to the roll bar. Chase Cam does a nice rollbar clamp and an additional mount for the camera to keep it vibration free. You can check out some of my video on You Tube under Yellowss7, to see how steady the mount is. Quality from the camera is much better than you see on youtube. Tom

David,

The Archos doesn't have lanc capability. Recordings have to be started/paused/stopped from the main DVR itself unless you buy the archos helmet cam kit.

I went for the RF Concepts camera pack in preference to the Archos one because it seemed to offer a better quality camera and I wasn't fussed about the the remote control capability.

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Edited by - IanJ on 5 Jan 2008 22:25:17

Interesting - where did that figure come from? The bullet camera has an analogue connection, so any claims to specific resolutions are a bit dodgy, but on the other hand the camera must have an internal CCD which will have it's own resolution before it gets converted to a composite video signal.

It would be nice to find a solution where the signal wasn't converted to analogue in the bullet camera, then back to digital in the recording device, but I don't know of any such solution at the moment (except of course all-in-one devices, which tend not to be great quality).

Roger,

Those specs came respectively from:

320X240 - an enquiry to RF concepts regarding this here

640X480 - here

752 X 582 - here

However, I totally agree that specs don't tell the whole story on their own. There is a lot more to all this stuff than I first realised so I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment!

I captured some test video onto my Archos from the tintop last weekend. I downloaded the results to my PC and then went through usual codecs learning process. The results were slightly less impressive than I had been expecting. After comparing my efforts with other peoples in-car videos that I downloaded from the web, I arrived at the conclusion that the Archos default bitrate (1500Kbps) is insufficient for in-car recording at 640X480 resolution. I am hoping to have another go this weekend and try out a few different bitrates and and sampling frequencies. I''ll upload the results and post links if I manage to come up with anything that looks half decent!

Penn Sevens Here

Hi Guys,

I have a RF concepts bullet cam, I am going to buy a Mini DV camcorder for the moment , the sony DCR HC96E looks good at 289pounds, it has av in and audio in , but no external microphone jack.

Question 1. Does the bullet cam mic plug into the 'audio in' on these cams? or does it need the external microphone jack.

Question 2. Can you get Lanc leads for less than 45pounds, seems pricey!

Cheers Neil

I've uploaded a few MPEG 4 test videos here

They are a bit more blocky than I was hoping for. The MPEG 4 compression seems to struggle as the speed increases, especially when there is a lot of detail in the picture and/or the light conditions change rapidly.

Has anybody managed better results with an MPEG 4 recorder? I'm thinking that something which saves to the less-lossy MPEG 2 format might be a better option as Adam mentioned earlier.

Penn Sevens Here

Edited by - IanJ on 23 Jan 2008 08:37:38

That does look pretty nasty. On the other hand, you're stressing it pretty hard. You've got full screen movement, with a huge amount of detail in the trees.

In contrast, my racing videos generally have about 50% of the frame filled with "stationary" or slow moving material - dash, windscreen surround, my helmet, etc. And the background scenery on race tracks is much less detailed than the trees in yours.

Are these straight out of the recorder, or post-processed and maybe compressed further?

It has to be said that a full-blown PC with a 3GHz processor and 4GB of memory can struggle to compress video material as fast as real-time, so perhaps it's unreasonable to expect a small cheap box to do a good job of it.

Richard - Where did you get that PVR for £40 from - at that price i would be interested in one. Then allI would need is a bullet cam and all the connectors. If the results were better than the Archos ones I would be very happy

Rocket Communications - Events, Media, Video here

I'm trying to understand lens sizes..

Bulletcams seem to come with a standard lens of 4.3mm. A 2.9mm wide-angle lens would do what it say on the tin I'm supposing - open up your field of fiew. But what difference does changing to an 8mm lens make *confused* Is it the same field of view as 4.3mm (since it's not wide-angled), yet make objects further away seem closer? Is it therefore a better choice than 4.3mm if you're not after a wide-angled shot?

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Roger,

Thanks for your comments - they are all good points and are consistent with my observations. The files I posted were as recorded by the Archos with no post-processing. I guess I was stressing it a bit! The picture quality is excellent when stationary and seems to be acceptable at anything up to about 40mph. After that, the compression algorithm really starts to struggle when there is significant detail in the frame. I've had a couple of other thoughts on tweaks I can apply to my setup, but I would obviously be very hesitant to recommend it for in-car use on the basis of results so far.

When I record directly from a DVD player (for example 956 in-car), it seems to cope much better and the resulting file shows a much higher bitrate, even though it's on the same recording settings. I'm wondering if the DVR copes better with the resolution of the input signal from the DVD than the camera, but I'm still puzzled as to the significant difference in quality!

Richard,

As a comparison, can you tell me the resolution and bitrate your Mustek is actually saving files at? Thanks.

Penn Sevens Here

Hi guys,

My first bit of free time in ages to get on here. Thanks to those of you who have contacted Fast Films, and sorry to those of you who have had no response. I'm not being rude, I've just had a lot of personal problems recently (relationship again, house etc.) which have put Fast Films at the back of the priority list since Christmas.

I'm pleased to say I can see light at the end of the tunnel so do try to get through and we will do the best we can to help. By next month I will have sold the business on to those with more time and money than I so the business will go from strength to strength again. *smile*

Cheers, Dave, Fast Films

Fast Films

I still think to save all the headaches and buying another camera you could just use your normal handheld digital camera.

I racked my brains for ages about what to go for and ended up buying a camera mount from GPR which fits onto the rollbar. It has fantastic resolution (7.2 megapixels), gives a great picture, is steady and if you cover the microphone with some mepore tape cuts out the wind noise, so you can hear what you want to hear...the engine!

Simple, Quick, Cheap and Effective.

Yes, a handheld camera does look like the best option as a recording device for quality. However, this restricts your possible mounting locations unless you connect it to a bullet camera.

I am looking for a solution which I can use as a helmet camera for snowboarding as well as for in-car footage. So my only real option is a bullet camera. The question is what to connect it to. I like the idea of a solid state device because they are small and have no moving parts so are potentially less sensitive to shock/vibration. A compact unit is important because I want to be able to carry it easily inside my jacket to ensure that the battery packs are somewhat protected from sub-zero temps and reduced performance. Size and price is important because I don't want to break too many ribs or the bank if I land on it!

I am prepared to accept some compromise on recording quality to meet the requirements outlined above and have the added convenience. However, the quality of the recordings I have captured so far on the Archos have been less than acceptable. Hence the interest in other recommendations such as the Mustek.

Penn Sevens Here