Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ali rad, stripped bleed screw thread

Mike Bees

Stock Caterham ali rad, 1997 vintage. I've stripped the thread for the bleed screw. It appears to be a fine pitch 10mm bolt. Any suggestions for a quick fix (like I need to fix it by 4pm tomorrow!)?

There *might* be enough surface area to put in a 12mm tap (what size hole do I need for that?) and use a 12mm bolt. Any such thing as 11mm bolts? Or a non-metric size that would do the trick? It does need to be a fine pitch thread.

Buying a new rad isn't an option.

Help!

Mike

Another thought... In my haste & frustation last night I'd assumed that a helicoil was out of the question since it's not a blind hole so the insert could just wind all the way out the other side. This must be wrong 'cos I know they helicoil spark plug holes.

An M10x1mm helicoil kit from Namrick is 47 quid! Ouch.

Mike

Mike,

You can fit a helicoil or a timesert. I have some helicoil tools and wiil try to find a size.

If the thread is a fine pitch then this is probably why you have had the problem. Aluminium really needs coarse threads such as UNC or metric coarse.

Will check what I have and post it later.

Mike whip it of and pop down to your local tig welder he or she will be able to clean up the hole fill with new weld if needed and tap and supply a new bolt and should do while you wait.

My local guy did this for me when my sump plug was rounded from repeated beating with tarmac.

But before you say ah this is a rad not a sump my guy used to build all of our ali rads so it's no prob to weld the tanks.

Keith

Mike,

I do have an M10 helicoil set.

The recommended drill size for an M10 helicoil is 10.3 mm dia. The helicoil tap I would use would then be for the standard 1.25mm pitch.

The drill size for an M10 x 1.5mm pitch helicoil is also 10.3mm so you can use either size depending on which taps and inserts you can find.

Once the thread is heicoiled there is no need to use the coarse thread that I would normally recommend in Aluminium.

The M10 hole should still drill out to 10.3mm without problem

I am in Northampton so if you can get to me I have the drill, taps, inserts and tools you need to do the job. It will only take a few minutes so if you are stuck let me know how I can help.