Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed refresh ?

Pete H

Considering getting my 6 speed looked at by Road and Race over the winter as a precaution.

The car is a 1998 SLR which i've only had for a year or so. The car has done a fair few track miles, and I plan to do plenty more with it *cool*

Is there any way I can tell if its had any upgrades or is the best bet to give it to Phil and let him take a look. Nothing obviously amiss, apart from the ususal lay shaft rattle. Still feels very sweet, should I just leave well alone,

Pete

Before having it pulled apart for a refresh, it is worth considering if it actually needs it.

Depends on how many miles, how well it all works (gear shift quality, noise, etc) and whether when draining the oil there are signs of dirty oil or metalic particles bigger than "sludge" attached to the magnetic plug. If everything is fine, then I would suggust leaving it alone and just giving it an oil change.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

• Area Representative

Phil *thumbup*

You're obviously concerned by the track miles, which do put a far higher load/wear on the internals. You could easily find a component in the early stages of failure and save collateral damage. And you'll have more confidence in the car which will give you greater enjoyment, which is the whole point really *smile*

If you're not aware, Phil is on 01959 525105.

Crudders

I don{t agree. If it is not whining and the change is good, drop the oil and if it's cleanish then carry on using it.

The things that break with boxes are bearings (they whine), synchro hubs (jumping out of gear, bad change) and chipped teeth (see swarf in the oil). This is regardless of whether they are tracked or not.

I'm currently rebuilding aother car and I insisted the 'box went to Phil, despite the owners driving the car pretty mu exclusively on the road, and drivign it 'properly'.

It had covered approx 35k miles, and was workign well when removed.

Sent it to Phil, who diagnosed a couple of problems, including failed / failing synchro rings on a couple of gears...

My opinion - send it off. if it needs nothing doing, it gets a service. if it needs something you'll be happy you did it now, rather than when you are out blatting / on track and it fails *thumbup*

....and from what vintage did the 6speed 'boxes benefit from an uprated 5th gear?

The 'box has been in prodcution for over 10 years so no doubt some running changes will have been made. Any one know of other reliability/strength mods introduced along the way?

This is a interesting debate. Risk of failure of vunerable items can be reduced by strip and upgrade to newer design parts. But if the build spec. of 'box is good, regular oil changes show no contamination and in use it exhibits no signs of a problem, my inclination would be to leave well alone.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

if the box is untouched since 1998 then I would very, very surprised if it wasnt rather slack and in need of attention. I'm sure it will do the job Ok, but it could probably do with a service.

I would suggest you get a local expert to feel it first ?? - I tried a CSR 6 speeder the other week and with just 3,000 miles on the clock it was terrible . The 3rd gear detent spring was shot, the 3rd gear was notchy and it was a little nosiy.

I tend to get my box serviced every 7 - 10K and each time it has needed it. the last service required a few syncro and new mainshaft *eek*..... £780 of parts.....prior services have had the uprated parts installed and the latest mods like the new gears and the higher temp oil seal.

I imagine SPC would be more than capable of a service. I normally use Phil stewart @ road and race near gatwick. He can turn the box around inside a morning if you make prior bookings - which is handy if you are travelling to him and you can also pop around to Caterham whilst hes doing it.....and all the spares are on his shelves. He has always provided good service at a fair price so I never had cause to consider others, but it is only a ford type 9 box so I imagine most reputable companies will be more than familier with it.

dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - D J on 13 Oct 2007 08:54:50

• Area Representative

Dave,

Thanks for that. It's a lot closer to go to SPC for us and I was hoping for a turnaround service too if I took it down there.

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

As the new owner of a '96 car with a 6 speed box I have been following this thread with interest.

Nick, do let me know if you take your box to SPC. They are only about 10 miles away from me in Droitwich, so if I have to get it seen to then SPC would also be a good option for me.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Might try and contact the original owner to determine if any work has been done to the box. Main reason for worrying is to prevent a potential big bill and hassle next year in case anything did let go. The lay shaft rattle is worse than other 6 speeds I've had previously but I know TADTS 😬. The only issue i can find is its very easy to get 5th instead of 3rd when changing up so the gate spring maybe could do with looking at.

Think its coming out, needed a winter project anyway.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Jingars,

Just to update this thread but I took my 6 speed to RRT today. I tried to get it in with SPC but didn't manage to sort out a date/day this week whereas Phil at RRT was happy to get it sorted immediately.

Watched keith stripping it this morning in around 45 minutes and checking it over and it was ready for collection within 3.5-4 hours and just like new. Excellent service and very reasonably charged as I am sure everyone else says. SPC though is very good too and I would happily recommend him again - and being only 10 miles away from you that has got to be a big *thumbup* With visiting CCS/Dartford/CCM as well as RRT, I have covered over 520 miles today 😳

Nick

Hi

Does the refresh include getting rid of the layshaft rattle or is it just part of the character of the gearbox? I'd be willing to pay for a refresh even if it wasn't needed just to get rid of that damn noise.

CAB

• Area Representative

Standard cost for the refresh is £125 to cover the labour and whatever parts are required. Mine was £220 and was for 2 synchro rings plus some small plates (sorry, can't remember what they are called) that are part of the gear change. As said before it looks like a new box inside and out 😬

Nick