Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RST 2.4 V8

Mickrick

Nothing to do with me, and I'm sure it's already been spotted, but there's one on Pistonheads for £16,000.

Sorry can't do linky thing *redface*

And here's me with a brend new SV chassis....must resist, must resist.... *rolleyes* *nono*

The older I get, the faster I was!

In which section is it??

To do a link either click the 'link' button that you will see when writing a topic or reply or type all that is in between the specch marks as below

"[ url ]insert your link here[ /url ]"

but don't have the spaces between the brackets and the word 'url', I have to put the spaces in otherwise it'll try and create a link and you won't see how to write one!

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 11 Oct 2007 19:19:23

LB *thumbup*

Oh yessss! 🥰 🥰 Are you permitted to use the word erection on BC?

TF O/T but did you ever finish the DT400? They're lurvelly! (I used to have a monoshock 250)

Edited by - Mickrick on 11 Oct 2007 19:38:59

The DT400 is coming on nicely albeit a bit slow at the mo, they forgot to polish the fins on the head (although they'd done the barrel *rolleyes* ) so that's held the engine / exhaust up, I have been waiting 6 weeks for the dents to be knocked out of the rear mudguard, so I can't finish the back end, and the handlebars I found hand the wrong height so the indicators wouldn't point the right way.

I found the correct ones in the States but they haven't arrived *mad*

Oh and I can't make head nor tail out of the wiring loom diagrams as they all seemed to have different ign switches.

But is does look more like a motorbike again 🥰 *thumbup*

A7 RDP pics here

Edited by - Tight fart on 11 Oct 2007 19:58:21

How many RST V8 Caterhams exist out of interest ?

IIRC, 1 s3, 1 21, and 1 SV (being built).

Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted a conversion from my existing SLR to an RST where would I go to get this done ?

Any competent race car builder - it's not rocket science.....If you want to use someone who has done it before, The Seven Workshop (in Hoddeston IIRC) did the original SV (which no longer exists as a car, even if the chassis is, or recently was, at Arch) and the s3. There may be others I haven't heard of.

Adam thanks.

Do you know whether the RST would fit in a standard body or only the larger SV ?

I was thinking of upgrading my SLR and an RST might be a bit extreme and a bit expensive and a bit of a handful but nevertheless I was just wondering !!!

Stuart

SLR69: Yep, fits in a std narrow s3. If you're serious, look at alternatives as well . . such as the H1 v8, even if just to confirm the RST choice - there are quite a few about. Don't fuss about fitting the v8 in, if a Rover v8 and a DFV can fit in a narrow chassis car, one of these tiny bike engine derived v8s will easily fit in. Budget on about £30K for an engine, box, gubbins, and fitting.

I reckon you're right about them being a handful though . . .all the vids I've seen of v8 350/400bhp normally aspirated Caterhams look very twitchy when they dump their power in (look at the original RST SV vids - it's terrible *eek*), but still, I've never driven a 400bhp normally aspirated Caterham so looks may be deceptive.

Edited by - AdamHay on 12 Oct 2007 00:54:10

Having driven the RST 2.4 on the road for a fair few miles and on track at Curborough ( with a rotten suspension setup and wood tyres and an awfull gearbox and crap brakes and std steering rack that cant keep up with the overtseer - drivers excuse #23, 34 & 47b) I can testify that its a very very quick car ( I saw 162mph on the stack) but the power delivery is totaly brutal and completly overwhelms the chassis and driving experience.

I realy needs extra wide track suspension, top dampers, 10" rear soft slicks and then it would a one hell of a tool *smokin* *thumbup*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

SLR69: What do you want though? Just cheap(ish) power? Or power and light weight? If just power, you could stick a boosted Duratec, VX, or Zetec motor in, along with a heavy duty gearbox. If power and light weight, stick a turbo bike engine in.

If you took the second route, you could have a 350bhp Busa turbo motor supplied and fitted for somewhere in the region of £12K.

Might be sticking my neck on the block here, but...has anyone considered, or fitted a jap engine in a caterham?

My pal popped over and test drove the new Atom III last weekend, and he says it was fitted with the Honda Type R engine. He was so impressed that my efforts to talk him into a Caterham have probably failed!

Jap engines are smooth reliable, and there's oodles of tuning gear available.

But it doesn't seem quite right, does it? *confused*

Mickrick: Been done . . .. there's a yellow CTR (IIRC) SLR about with 238bhp (again IIRC) . . .. looks very nice. There may be others about. Plus there's Budjuggler's Toyota engined car (originally built by Caterham). But still, these are both in a different league to a v8 Caterham.

Not bad numbers for a stock super reliable engine eh?

My pal tells me the Atom had a 300hp supercharged Type R engine.

Apparently Honda have built 20 million units without one failure *eek*

Interesting to see the exhaust headers come out on the right hand side *wink* (Same as a Duratec)