Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma cars and fuel gauge

Eccles

Archangel - my original 150 mapping was well out, spitting and banging when cold and wouldn't go over 5000. I had it remapped a few months ago and it completely transformed the car. I guess CC may be refining the mapping but anything mapped after Septembe should be OK. There was a thread on here a while ago that suggested that mapping was sensitive to individual engines, but I'm not sure I go along with this. Looks like my next service will include the fuel pump mod and the fuel guage mod and the latest mapping.....

Tim N

Don't rush too quickly if you can live with it . . . I've had the mod and now when you load the electrics e.g. heated screen it adds about 20 degrees in oil temp!!! 😔 and reduces the read on the oil pressure. I'm letting CC know in the next few days. ☹️

Do have the current map its much better 😬

Its finally finished :-) 4000 miles completed. Back from CC now :-) I've missed it

Yep. End January e-mails went like this:

Me: Is there a projected timing for the fuel pick up fix?

CC: The only fuel issue is the accuracy of the fuel gauge. We are working on the fix and will hopefully release very soon.

Me: Re the fuel gauge - isn't that avoiding the main issue: that there are at least 5 litres of fuel that can't be used? I know this because when I first tried to start the car I put 5 litres in - as the Assembly Guide says - and it wouldn't start. One of your engineers told me to put in another 5 litres and then it did start. Isn't it a fuel pick up problem?

CC: This is due to the pump position and there is no current plan to change.

Methinks someone should try and fix the fuel pick up problem. One day I might take mine out and have a look. One day...

Edited by - exfordy on 23 Feb 2008 00:01:58

I've just contacted Michelle at CC to let her know that I would would opt for the DIY mod rather than have a 200 mile round trip to Dartford.

She said that a number of owners are doing likewise and that if I would remove the old the rev counter and send it to them they would send me the replacement by return.

WHAT!!!!

So,by doing the mod myself and saving CC the labour cost's, CC don't trust me to send the old rev counter back before they send me the new one. How is that supposed to make the customer feel?

Michelle, to her credit, did say that a number of owners have made this point and that CC were going to have a rethink.

Be Luky!!

Martin

Just had another phone call from Michelle at CC and they have decided to send out the new rev counters before receiving the old ones.

I did explain that because of time restraints it may be a while before I get the job done and return the old rev counter and Michelle said that CC were looking to get the old ones back within 10 days of despatching the replacements.

If every Sigma owner had taken the option of having CC do the mod it would have brought the factory to a stand still or some of us would have waited till xmas to have it done. I'm also wondering how likely is it that we will be given the cost of sending back the old units??

I know this sounds like I'm ranting about the petty, but 'petty' and 'penny pinching' are sometimes the best way to describe CC.

I'm sure that this will all sort itself out, but situations like these make me wonder why CC don't employ a PR consultant??

Be lucky!!

Martin

I think that the mail from Caterham appeared here before anyone was ready to move, last Thursday Michelle (bless) knew nothing apart from "we are sending out letters" to those effected, Friday the letter arrives and a phonecall later she said it was return the old one before we send you another now Monday and its all OK we will send you the replacement and then you return the old unit. I know Caterham are a relatively small company but a lot of us have paid a good deal of cash, please take a deep breath before you make a move. Its easier on us all that way.

PS The cars still bloody ace and I've not even driven one yet!

Edited by - adcatman on 25 Feb 2008 23:13:34

Am rather sad by the way that CC seems to be running at the moment. Every one seems to be running around trying to be helpful, but lack of co-ordination seems to mean that the left does not know what the right is doing.

I built a 1.6 in 1999 and the kit was near perfect and only a couple of fiddling parts were missing... Everything worked from the start. In 2003 I built a 1.8 XPower SV and again kit was complete apart from very minor parts which always arrived by post the next day. Apart from several instruments not working ( replaced at once on pre SVA check at CC) everything again worked properly. In fact apart from things made by Caerbont all has been well over 32,000 miles. I just cannot understand why Caerbont cannot make their instruments and senders better. Now that CC has a new computer system helpfully they will be able to log the troubles and give Caerbont a boot up the arse which they certainly deserve from my experiences.... Now on 5th oil pressure sender! CC's accounts don't seem to be what they were as I am still awaiting warranty claim on a Caerbont part replaced in October 2007! And no one appears to reply to Emails at CC either. Lets hope they improve as they don't seem to be able to resolve the technical problems on the new models like they did in the days of Jez Coates.

HUGH ROBINSON

Chelmsford.

Yes, I received mine yesterday and fitted it today. I don't seem to be having the same problems that 'The Boy' is having and the fuel guage seems to be functioning properly.

I didn't realise just how close to running out of fuel I have come, on so many occassions.

Be lucky!!

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Just got my car back from midlands where it had the fuel guage changed and I promptly ran out of fuel first time out *mad* - On my previous guage I could run it down until it hit red but the new one seems to have the original problem in that it shows 1/4 full when it emptied on me.

First post - hello everyone

My wife and I have just finished building a sigma 125 engined car. When we fired her up the first time with the original tacho, it failed to display the revs and both the temp gauge and fuel gauge did not work at all.

Put the replacement tacho in and then all three gauges were working perfectly.

No idea what this means but thought I'd mention it

Vip

Build Pics here

Edited by - vipdesilva on 19 Mar 2008 06:47:47

Edited by - vipdesilva on 19 Mar 2008 06:48:24