Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Holed Sump :(

MattC

☹️ Hit a rock or catseye last night and terminally holed the Zetec sump. Gutted. ☹️

I’m not sure if there’s any damage to the engine internals, I came straight off the gas but couldn’t pull in straight away, horrible clanking noises were coming from the engine and then it conked out. The AA came out and recovered the car home, there was still a little oil in the sump so I’m keeping my fingers crossed…..

First things first, I need a new sump pan. Does anyone have any experience of the Raceline Zetec dry sump kit? Does this give any more ground clearance?

Cheers

Matt

I completely munted my Titan dry sump pan, to the point that I cracked the block as well. Quick session with the local Indian TIG welder fixed it up a treat, including pressing the bend in the sump pan straight. It might be very repairable, other wise contact Raceline for a replacement.

When I did mine, it made some clanking noises just before shutdown, this was the Con-Rod bolts smacking one of the baffle plate retention screws. As the Titan sump pan, like yours was designed by Pete McKewan, he normally only has a couple of mm clearance, so any smack will push the screws into contact with the conrod bolts.

The Raceline sump is a real work of art and is superbly well baffled as well as being immensely strong. I would forget about cut 'n' shut sumps and get the proper job from Raceline. *thumbup* The sump doesn't hang any lower than the bell housing so is as high as it can practicably be.

If your motor is knackered (hopefully not) Raceline are currently doing great deals on brand new crated ST170 Zetec black tops.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 28 Aug 2007 13:34:43

Last I heard Steel was stronger than ALuminium, and easy to fix/weld if you happen to puncture it, oh Retro ford steel sump is also lighter than Racelines well overpriced aly effort 😬

You pays your money and takes your pick *wavey*

>

oh and by the way Retro ford sump gives about 40mm extra clearance over racelines, in other words thats 40mm higher than the bottom of bellhousing *thumbup* *thumbup*

in other words thats 40mm higher than the bottom of the bellhousing

So you simply take out the flywheel and gearbox instead of the sump then? I clouted the sump on my old Zetec engined 7 several times and the worst it suffered was the corner of one fin breaking off at the front.

You have to remember, also, that the bottom of the Raceline sump is fitted with well designed baffles with a series of interlinked chambers. The design is so good that many race cars run with this instead of a dry sump.

The old adage.........'you get what you pay for'......... more often than not holds true in my experience!

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 28 Aug 2007 13:18:48

Something else to bear in mind if the sump genuinely is 40mm higher than Racelines is that the crankshaft will almost certainly be thrashing around in the oil thus causing foaming and higher oil temperatures than is desirable.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

The 40 mm comes in useful coz the sump is higher and when front suspension moves up and down [at least mine does] you have more clearance at front of engine, for sure the bellhousing is a problem which no-one can overcome, but all damaged sumps I've seen have been struck at the front nose, this 40mm extra at the front of the sump is always welcome *thumbup* *thumbup*

Your nice £600 Raceline sump is gonna get just as dirty and be just as liable to get damaged as a £200 Retro ford item *cool*

As I said before - you pays your money and takes your pick *wavey* *wavey*

I could have a measure of both as that's what I ended up with due to time constraints, are you using a silver top or black top as the back would require a pickup pipe mod back at Dunnell which is why I ended up going raceline. My silvertop expired and I got a Raceline Blacktop hence new sump.

From memory they're about the same size and perform the same, the Raceline one just looks prettier if that's important to you... The Dunnell one is a cut'n'shut job to coin a phrase though but I've done some serious track time using it as well as thousands of road miles and have had absolutely no problems. The design has been used for years on race cars too and takes a full 5l of oil. How low is your car though if you smacked the sump in the first place, I've not had that issue... fingers crossed!

Could be a cheap quick fix *thumbup*

Edited by - JaseB on 28 Aug 2007 17:26:02

Annoyingly standard... ☹️

The ford dealer supplied me the wrong head gasket which trashed my silvertop with huge compression (luckily didn't damage the head just the pistons) after I had a head skim and got some nice cams from raceline, it's taken me a fair few squids to get back where I started. Worth checking your head gasket if you ever need a new one the black top one fits but is a third of the thickness!! It ran for a while with about 180 then one of the pistons went so back to square one!

The only thing I'm going to do to this one is get throttle bods at some point and leave the insides well alone 😬

The Raceline sump is a great bit of kit.

Well designed with really efficient internal baffles.

It also looks "pretty" 😬

I can vouch for it's strength.

I managed to end up "parked" on a kerb with both front wheels off the ground.

The car was left sitting on the sump *eek*

I broke an engine mounting rubber and scuffed the under side of the sump.

No leaks - no drama (apart from getting the car back onto it's front wheels *wink*)

It's also a lot less than £600!

Hi Matt

I have an 1,800 Zetec engine in my caterham, and I have a raceline sump fitted, and as other people have said its a work of art all baffled and good ground clearance and full five litre capacity not like some of these cut down Mondao sumps *thumbdown* go for a Raceline its neally as good as the dry sump Regards Paul

There we are, 3 glowing reports of the Raceline sump from people who have actually used the thing.

Jeez, I'm becoming such a zealot for this subject, next thing you know I'll be growing a beard and wearing a bobble hat! Luckily I'm not that sad however. *cool*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 31 Aug 2007 08:18:37

Just to add another glowing report for the Raceline sump, just tainted by the fact that the Dunnell does the job just as well but ain't as pretty....

Oh and I'm trying to sell one *wink*

Really cheap too *cool*

Just measured sumps, both 150mm in case you're interested...

Edited by - JaseB on 29 Aug 2007 21:36:38