Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 DB Noise Levels

Mike500

Having just spent all my hard earnt cash on an R500 I dont want to waste money by getting turned away at track days. Can anyone please give me the definative on noise levels and the solution to reducing DB output to 105 max. The R500 is awesome, I have a lot to learn! P.S. How strict will Cadwell be on the Caterham track day 7 May?

Mike, which exhaust do you have fitted and do you have the airbox question.gif Induction noise on drive-by is usually the killer but Cadwell is pretty good. When we had our R500, we had no noise problems there. I'm sure Richard, Jules, Jason et al will be along shortly to give you more info. Enjoy the car biggrin.gif

FH teeth.gif

Thanks for the reply. The car is 16 months old and is in standard R500 spec (I.E. I dont know the precise exhaust type!) I have enquired with Caterham regarding the airbox and they have quoted £1200 for an upgrade. I will go ahead with this if it does the trick, but I am pretty well in the dark. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My R500 came (new) with the titanium silencer. To get onto lower noise level tracks (eg Castle Coombe) I bought a 7" silencer form Caterham. That got me down to 100 Db when the silencer was new. I went to Coombe a couple of weeks back - with the silencer having been used on about 6 track days and the noise level was 105Db - turns out that the stuffing comes out with use and the noise level rises.

A serach of this and the R500 site led me to order a BTB silencer - Jason Krebs car has been tested with this silencer at 98 Db. Moreover its repackable. A number of R500 owners have this silencer for racing at tracks with restricted noise level (eg Jason and Richard Ince).

BTB are near Daventry (at Woodford Halse). When i ordered my silencer (price £400) they did say they would do it for £350 if they were making up more than one. YOu could try ringing them to see if the offer is still on.

I have the air box and the rear exit exhaust system. It's so quiet you can get on anywhere! I am planning to upgrade to the BTB side exit or an alternative at some point this year. I spoke to Jez Coates on the subject at the end of last year and he said Caterham would be selling a quieter side exit, but it has not seen the light of day yet. Probably due to too much X-preoccupation.

Graham

I use the standard setup normally, and it is LOUD. Having said that, I had no problem at Cadwell or Snetterton. I upgraded to the airbox last year, and also bought the rear exit system which can be put on the car if I have noise problems. So far, I have never had to use it, (even at Oulton) but if I do, it takes 10 mins to fit.

As Graham says, it is very quiet with all the quiet stuff on, but it definitely takes the edge off the performance, and the lack of noise is less fun to me.

Absolutely Keith, spot on. When I put on a side exit R500 exhaust to do a check on horsepower-drain from the rear exit, I drove round with it on for a time, absolutely brilliant. I never got to exercise the extra horses it liberated for the time it was on, but the sound made up for it (nearly)!

Graham

• 8 years later...

Actually, come to think of it, it was at 3/4 of max, which is 6500 rpm. Yes it can be done, but it does need both the exhaust and induction to be dealt with. It wasnt that expensive and I certainly rook the view that if I wanted to have such a car, it was as well to future proof it for circuit use. I rarely have to pit the quite silencer on the car, but when I do (EG last time at Oulton) I would have been going home if I hadn't had the quiet system in the truck.

Funny to see I was Keith Jecks when this thread started!