Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rx00 rear exit exhaust

bertie

Anyone got a pic of the Caterham Rear exit system that fits the R3/4/500?

In particular how it fits underneath the car?

Even though I've got a Raceco side exit silencer and an airbox on I'm still highly dubious about passing Donningtons 98dB noise regs.

My other thought was to get a rear exit pipe made up for the Raceco?

Anyone else tried this??

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd ressurect this and see if anyone has any pics of the routing underneath or could take some and send it ....please!

Still on this an I know Caterham have one so it must be possible, if someone can take some pics I'd be most grateful.

It definitely looks like that could affect performance on higher powered cars. My car lost noticeable power just reducing the 3 inch end pipe by a quarter! Do they all have to do that - is the simply no room for a large bore pipe to go past the wheel? It looks very close there in any case.

I've stopped chasing quietness for this year since I'm going to primarily be using it on road. And I think Ammo is about to make it louder with new cams anyway.

The one in my pictures is said to be an R500 item.

It's not repackable, and yes there's a huge step down!

I can't yet tell how much the difference in performance is, first trial was 4 miles on wet roads, that's why the car is so clean *eek* but it's unbelievable much more quiet than the side exit exhaust.

I will know a lot more about the behaviour Saturday, where I'll also aim to take better pictures, and shall report.

/regin

I have the R500 system, which looks the same as the one in the pictures and fits onto brackets already on the car. It has a modified R500 Titanium front box which feeds into a large rear box through which it passes twice (in other words, the rear box has two connected straight through silencers). The front box is repackable, the rear isn't. The exit, Graham, is on the left on mine.

It is VERY quiet. Mine was recorded at Goodwood at 88dBA when I was there a few years back! With the standard sytem newishly packed it registered 106. I only ever use this system when I absolutely have to because subjectively it seems to kill the top end of the car's performance, and I assume the more I use it the less quiet it will be. Caterham told me it cuts 25BHP, which I can easily believe, but I have never put it on a rolling road to find out. If mine only loses 8 BHP I would be surprised, though the quietness may make it feel slower than it is I guess.

To change systems over takes about 10 minutes and I always have it in the back of the truck just in case so at the next track day if you want to see it, ask me.

I have considered the rear exit silencer to add quietness *rolleyes*, but I pondered the routing passed the 8.5" rear wheel.

It occure to me that it would be simpler to double back the exhaust directly above the present can. So the exhaust tailpipe could have a U section inserted which feeds into another 21" long silencer positioned above the present one with the exhaust exit at the front near the front wheel.

It wont look pretty but as a temporary fix for quiet days it would work.

The additional silencer would weigh another 3.7Kg so the rear exhaust bracket may need bracing - maybe the aditional silencer outlet could be suspended from the front of the SLR roll cage ?.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 14 Jan 2008 20:20:56

nope it was just running on the standard Minister map. It's not my car any more which is why my memory was a little vague on what the rear exhaust looked like. I decided that with only 8bhp difference, all was well. In fact it was bought with only the rear-exit system so it must have been ok!!

Graham