Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres for trackdays

DaveMorris

Am going on a trackday (Anglesey) in a couple of weeks and am sorting out tyres for it.

Car is HPC Vc ~170bhp and normally runs on CR500's on 15" rims. Don't fancy ruining these on the track due to cost of tyres and rims. So .. ..

I have a set of pretty new 13" 70 profile 021r's which I'd rather not trash on the day. My other option in the garage is a set of 13" 60 profile Re720's which I would happily take down to the canvas.

My concern is that the Re720's just won't be grippy enough

Any comments?

Dave.

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

Dave,

I did a track day on RE720's yesterday at Aintree (fast circuit and quite hard on tyres) and my car has similar power to yours (187BHP). My ideal would have been some medium R888's or simiar but I wanted to wear my old Bridgstones out first (my other option was soft Kumho's which a track day would totally trash!). For a road tyre they worked surprisingly well, we were on 10 minute sessions and they didn't overheat in that time although the outside edges of both nearside tyres are now very rounded off (bald!). I was mixing it with Caterhams, Westies and single seaters with stickier rubber and although I obviously didn't have as much grip it wasn't an embarressment at all and managed to be amongst the quickest *cool*....I'd say take go with the RE720's and have some fun trying to wear em out 😬 It's also great for learning car control *thumbup*. If your handy on track you'll easily be able to make up the difference over someone not so good on say A048's but probably not slicks!

Class 4 Zetec *cool*

Edited by - Martin S. on 3 Jun 2007 18:50:01

I also did one day on RE720's but sold them on afterwards, so don;t know how long they would have lasted. They were pretty grippy though, giving a 'high' g rating though School, according to the logger i was running that day.

Hi Dave

Depends why you bought your car and your driving philosophy *rolleyes*

I think -for what that's worth!- that I will probably get the most fun out of my car on the track, and track driving is the #1 reason for owning it, therefore I would rather 'ruin' track tyres on the track and run road tyres on the road.

Having said that, I run 21R's on the road 'cos they're good allrounders.

Plus you can get a good few track-days out of one set of tyres, it's only racers who want to get the upmost out of tyres who bin them before they're warn out as each heat/cool cycle slightly hardens the compound.

I've never used CR500's. Are they OK in the wet? If not then take both sets.

Plus if you use the 21's you will get noticably better acceleration 'cos of the smaller diameter -and lower top end!!

Go on, do yourself a favour! give it some! 😬

Paul

• Area Representative

Dave,

I know somewhere that might just lend you a set of wet or slicks on rims that could suit that old car of yours 😬 Interested?

The 720's will squeal an awful lot and will probably overheat with the VX unless its wet in which it won't matter too much!

Drop me a line

Cheers

Nick

Seeing if a BEC is the way to go....

Mav,

"Depends how you drive"

pretty badly normally, but that's not linked to tyres *tongue*

Nick,

I've got a set of wets and a set of slicks that I'll be taking anyway. I would normally like to try the car on the road tyres that I'm currently using to get a better idea of the limits of adhesion - but the only CR500's that I have are 15" and I only have one set of (10 spoke) rims to suit. And I don't want to bend them !

So it looks like Re720's will be used to bed me (and Ali) into the circuit, followed by slicks or wets (depending on the weather - which Mav hasn't guaranteed yet *tongue*).

Thanks all,

Dave

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

I have 032 185 60 13 and RE 720 in same size for road

However I have tried the RE 720 for the track

and I love them as the car is more fun but less grippy

I will finish the 032 on the track

Then finish the 032

and buy a set of 021 or CR500 (I don't want to change the wheels for road and track use)

eric