Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series coolant hoses - where from?

LazerBrain

Seeing as the engine's out and the 10 year old hoses aren't looking their best I thought I'd replace the lot. I know Caterham and DT sell silicon kits, but they only contain 3 hoses.

I've got an EU2 1.6K with a heater, so I need the short elbows from the heater to the valve, plus the 3 piece silicon kit and a couple of others (including the overflow to the top of the expansion tank.) Does anyone have a list and recommendations of where to get them all from?

Which hose clips are recommended? The current ones are jubilee style, but I'm told there's better quality ones around.

Also, is it normal for the hose that runs from the heater, round the back of the engine, to the water pump (I think) to have a join in it?

cheers,

Darren.

CC also sell the short elbow pipes to the heater but they are bonkers expensive. Trouble is, it's not obvious how you would make them up yourself.

Stuff like the hose that runs round the back of the engine is just bog standard coolant hose and halfords will sell you it by the meter.

The one round the back of the engine isn't supposed to have a join, but, having said that, it's not a bad place for a bleed tee providing there's enough length that you can lift the tee above everything else for bleeding purposes......

stephen

Edited by - stephen grant on 30 May 2007 15:09:21

I ordered the additional hoses in silicon from Grand Prix Racewear here

I can't remember what sizes but it should be in the archives, otherwise I can have a look at the invoice at home.

I didn't bother with the short heater ones as they're uber expensive but I think you can get them from GPR aswell but will need to cut them down.

My car (96 SS) has the break in the hose also.

Chris

Darren

I bought the hose kit from CC, which still did not include hoses for the heater.

I bought the remaining Samco hoses from DT comprising 16mm hose, a number of 90 degree elbows and straight metal couplers used to join the elbows.

If your interested I have just added photos here.

Hope the link works

Malcolm

If you've got a certain type of Clayton Heater (I believe supplied for a short time only in 1996/97) it has a 13mm connection, with the usual 16mm connection at the valve end.

This means either getting hold of the OE part from Clayton or using a reducer connection and different sized pipes/elbows.

I've actually just done this job myself and, having previously obtained a variety of silicon and rubber pipes and reducers, I ended up getting the OE pipes from Clayton in the end. This was because I found there is not really enough space between the heater, bulkhead, and valve to do it sensibly with "join-ups".

FYI Clayton part no. is CX4609. You need two of these and cut one down for the shorter elbow (they've stopped making the shorter one).

Do a search and there's a lot more on this.

Having said all this, I hope you have the standard heater, as it seems this is a lot easier all round and gives you more options (eg for using silicon).

Peter Burt

Darren

Just dug out my invoice for the standard rubber hoses I bought from Redline a few months ago for my 1997 ss. If you want to compare the standard item prices the straight heater hose was an imperial 5/8inch size – one metre will suffice at £2.16 and the shaped heater ‘elbows’ were £8.32 and £9.87.

Martin

Thanks everyone - I took mav's advice and bought them from CC in the end. There's 2 additional silicone hoses on top of the normal 3 piece kit, the rest I bought in rubber (including the heater elbows.) Total cost was £180 inc shipping (and a CRB!)

There's more info and photos in this thread here

cheers,

Darren.