Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How is the aluminium at the side half moons curved?

TopQ1967

As the topic says!

I am completely repaneling my body.

I have some truble bending the aluminium nicely around *confused*

I use a wooden hamer and some heat. Is this the way?

Some photo's would be useful as well.

Regards

Quirin

Pure craftsmanship!!

Not very helpful I know *smile*, but fact is that the panelling is the area the new chassis makers had the most trouble with initially - especially around the top rear panel, where you have some very tight compound curves. I am pretty sure no heat is used though (on ali, over a powder-coated chassis....)

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

100,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 27 May 2007 15:36:27

Quirin,

You're a brave man .. coachbuilders take years of practice to be able to do this nicely. Personally, I would think this is one job to contract out to someone who has that skill.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

The difficult bit is the bit where your elbow sits, where it goes from half round almost horizontal to the half moon shape - I could not manage to shrink the alluminium on the first part and stretch it at the finish - I cut it to shape and had it weldeded. Joint is just about covered by the sill protectors.

Good luck

allen

I am getting there *smile* it took a couple of hours, but this photo is from some days ago. The dents are now out completely.

I have some problems in welding. I use now a brazing rod. This metal is to thin and to fluid to use horizontally. Better is to TIG weld. I have to redo this now.

Q.

Any advice is still appreciated.

]here

Edited by - TopQ1967 on 1 Jun 2007 20:38:28

When I watched Arch replace my back panel they used any oxy-acetylene torch to gently heat the aluminium then ironed the curves with a piece of steel shaped to fit round the finished radius. When it came to joining the panels they welded on the surface then ground away the excess ridge with a file then an emery disk, they slid a piece of thin metal between the skin and the chassis before welding and removed it after finishing.

Well done on what you have achieved so far.

Andy