Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removable Side Skins for Engine Access

MikeE

Justs thought but with the latest hyper power Duratecs engine installation and maintenance would be considerably easier or you could remove the side skins around the engine. Has anyone attempted a solution?

RIF how about some removable carbon side skins around the engine??

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

well having tried to get the dry sump pump off this weekend, situatated under the throttle bodies, I think access through the side panels would be a distinct advantage...just image the difficulty of trying to get to a supercharger in that positinion 😬

here

Stuart get used to the idea, it's only a matter of time before a certain customer of yours caves into temptation 😬

here

Edited by - MikeE on 22 May 2007 23:35:06

My Blade has a removable ali Panel on the near side engine bay.

I can only guess, that when James whiting was building it, as it was the prototype. it was easier to design and fabricate the exhaust headers this way. the subsiquent whiting blades have just a hold cut in the side skin.

while it doesnt look as good as a small hole with the exhaust coming through, it certainly does make it a easy job to remove the headers with the panel removed, and to get at the oil filter for changes *thumbup*

'Pinky Pics' here

If the appeture is cut in the aluminium with radiused corners and suitable number of dzus fastenings, torsional impact should be small

I have contemplated a panel on the o/s as access under TBs for hoses etc is limited and with an undertray its 30-40 mins to get it up in the air and tray on and off !

Martyn Heesom: What are you saying . . .. do you not know Blatchat folklore propagates the myth that the front side panels add torsional rigidity to the car *confused*

It's the magic of the Chapman design that allows a curved, unsecured (other than at the edges) bit of 18 gauge ally sheet to add rigidity, where in any other similar application it would do precisely naff all.

Adam *smile*

If one has superior clam wings, it would be possible to cut a triangular access panel under them and keep it pretty well hidden, for access to alternator etc etc.

ISTR the only panels that actively add ridgidity are the ones that are flat and wel riveted on, such as those surrounding the tunnel, the rear bulkhead panels and the inside/interior panels - maybe the floor aswell - but I guess as soon as the rivets fret and holes widen, any such advantage is lost!!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

100,000 miles car

" but I guess as soon as the rivets fret and holes widen, any such advantage is lost!!"

The fretting of the rivets is a clue that the panel in question might be trying to stiffen the structure!

I will need to make some kind of ritual sacrifice to avoid offending anyone who thought that Chapman's designs may not be ideal (much as Jochen Rindt did)!

The fretting of the rivets is a clue that the panel in question might be trying to stiffen the structure

Yes, obvious really . . . I don't know why someone hasn't put a stiff one piece floor on a S3 car. Yes, access to the prop and transmission tunnel would be restricted, but something could be done to overcome this.

Whilst they wre at it, maybe it would be a good idea to beef up the only other large stressed panel (i.e. the one behind the seats) that supports the diff and suspension mounts........

Certainly with our carbon side skins you could come up with a solution. There are several options. Give me a call sometime Mike if you are serious

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

"I don't know why someone hasn't put a stiff one piece floor on a S3 car"

Lotus 7's had a single sheet forming the floor and the backrest/boot floor. In my car this was steel, and the bends at the floor/backrest and backrest/boot floor made it reasonably stiff in some directions. In addition the rivets were monel, so did not rust or loosen.

Adam,

I don't know why someone hasn't put a stiff one piece floor on a S3 car

Doesn't your car have a 2mm one piece floor with additional chassis crossbracing and a centre tunnel that lifts out after a few dzus fasteners have been undone?

Edited by - neil.cavanagh on 23 May 2007 14:16:45