Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silencer heat shield

Mike Farmer

My silencer heat shield has come adrift on one corner leaving a small irregular hole where it was attached. The other fixing points look as if they are welded on and then the surface ground smooth. Am I correct in assuming it is welded on and that a spot weld will re-secure it? Is this possible with aluminium?

It is possible.

I've been through three shields over the years,got fed up buying new ones, and last time I had an old one rewelded.

It's all down to the skill of the welder as to how visible the new welds are.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1400 Supersport

Jerry,

I might be being a bit thick here. You say you've got through 3 heat shields and got fed up with buying new ones - does this mean you bought a new silencer each time with the heat shield already fitted? If not, how did you fit the new heat shields? Mike.

As Nick says.

Unless you've got a non-standard aftermarket exhaust of some kind.

The big jubilees run through three alloy 'tunnels', which themselves are spot-welded to the main shield; these spot welds come adrift.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1400 Supersport

• 1 month later...

Just a cautionary tale if you decice to leave the shield off, like I have.

At a bbq I turned up in the 7, after the initial scrum some of the guests asked for passenger rides, being a nice chap I obliged. I took one gentleman out and he thoroughly enjoyed it, as he was clambering out of the car I warned of the exhaust and expressed care be taken leaving the car, unfortunately the inevitable happened and the back of his ankle touched the, now very, hot exhaust. Over the next couple of days this burn got worse and his wife took him to hospital as he was feeling less than tip top.

Turns out he had a case of blood poisoning from the burn.

He made a full recovery and still talks of the ride and when am I going to take him out for another blat.

Still haven't got round to refitting my shield but think I will before I give anymore passenger rides.

Been unshielded for 5 years and never had an MOT problem - perhaps if it looks like there should have been one there it might be a problem but not if the thing was built not to have a heat shield.

Darwin was right...

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

They do get very hot, and without the shield there's a lot of surface area that can attract plastic bags etc, that tend to melt and are a bu**er to remove.

Cheers J&J

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

So now that mine's finally gone (somewhere outside Henley if anyone sees it). Do the jubilee clips do anything useful anymore, or can I take them off?

(I'd hate to take them off and have the exhaust come apart too...)

My ... Preciousss!

Edited by - db on 7 Jun 2007 11:13:04