Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aerofoil section tube

Irrelevant

Try Goodman Steel Ltd in Reading on 01189-561212

They stock a huge range of steel sections although I don't know about the aerofoil section you are after. If they do it, I can get it in on my account if you like and you can then pay me if that is easier. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Apart from the looks, what is the benefit of aerofoil wishbones?

RJ: Aero section is slightly more aerodynamic, although any benefits in this area are marginal to say the least. Oval (aero) tube is better for handling longitudinal braking forces so it flexes less and therefore less likely to crack (which does happen).

By far the biggest benefit though is the fact that it looks dead cool and if I'm getting some fully rose jointed, adjustable, superwide wishbones, it would be a shame not to use aero tube *wink*

Adam,

Thanks for enlightning me. Hadn't thought of the longitudinal strength.

I had the aerodynamics in mind, but that's one of the few things I think it's impossible to improve on a Seven...

I do agree, if you are to do something then go the full way first time.

/regin

I had the aerodynamics in mind, but that's one of the few things I think it's impossible to improve on a Seven...

Well the aerodynamics are terrible but the way I see it, they are so terrible that this is an area where huge improvements can be made if you try hard enough. Many many things have been done to improve drag/lift on 7esque cars in the past - standard things that (in theory) should work on all cars. Many of these ideas have been forgotten or they've dropped out of fashion. They should still work though as air is air and a 7 is a 7.....an example??? How about rear wing spats to fair the rear wheels in, as on XK120 & XJR Le Mans Jags, as well as others.

Hi adam

I had my aero rose jointed wishbones by Mike Waite in Worsley manchester.

tel 0161 790 7563.

He usually very busy with formula ford stuff, so it may take a while, But his tig welding is awesome.

He still has the jig for the wide track + 3/4" versions that we used. The lower wishbones used the std outer spherical bearing with 1/2" joints on the inner, the upper ones used 3/8" all round with a high angle one on the end, we then made taper adaptors to fit the upright.

Dave

Well thankd for the info chaps but the quest for aero section in the UK is not going too well . . .. .

Aircraft Spruce in the US do the exact same 4130 aero section as used on the R500 wishbones at $10.70 a foot . . . a bit better than £25 a foot but nobody I've contacted in the UK does it. The only problem is that they don't answer emails about export sales - I guess 8 foot is probably not worth their bother ☹️.

Annoying how expensive many things are in this country *mad*

DaveK: Thanks for the info on Mike Waite . . .. However, the plan is to use brased wishbones that use the standard ARB mounts for a widened blade type ARB. However, if I can't get reasonably priced aero section, I may give him a call.

Just for the record if anyone searches for this . . . I've just got some from PFA Metals at less that £7 a foot *thumbup*

It's 4130 streamline chromoly tubing (1.349" by 0.571" with a wall thickness of 0.049").

BTW - PFA Metals service was brilliant . .. They phoned me within 10 minutes of my email. 8 minutes later I had an account, I'd paid, and the tube was being packed *thumbup*.