Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling and Tapping

DohNut

Drilling and Tapping

I have an M3 bolt

and an M3 tap

I think the pitch matches *redface*

What diameter hole should I drill 🤔 I guess it must be Just less than the "thinnest" bit of the thread , but does an M3 bolt have a 3mm shaft that the threads stick out from or if the outermost part of the thread 3mm?

So should the hole be 3mm 🤔 2.5mm 🤔 2mm

Nick

Have a look here for tapping an M3 female thread. An M3 bolt has a nominal (outside) diameter of 3mm.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Re sketchup, you can create solids round an axis, I think you use the "follow me" control. It's described in the first tutorial.

Re tapping drill , size depends on material used, class of fit required and most important of all, what drills you have. Generally 2.5mill will be fine and dandy.

Not too critical with M3 because (a) the amount of material removed and (b) the likely loading is so small that a bit either side won't matter. There are tables on t'internet that will give you the precise figures, whether you then *own* a 7.3mm drill for your M8 tap is questionable. *wink* It's at this point that the rest of us start measuring the imperial drills with a mike to get something "close enough". 😬