Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3.62 v's 3.92 LSD

Richyd

I am planning to fit a 6-speed box and LSD to my 1.6 ss in the next few months, as well as planning to tune the engine a little (already speaking with Oilyhands). I currently run on R300 15"wheels with 195/45/15 CR500's. Needless to say, these have a smaller rolling circumferance than the standard wheels, so, with this in mind when I fit an LSD, should I opt for the same siza as my current diff, 3.92, or should I drop to a 3.62. 🤔 🤔 🤔

My current thoughts are that the 3.92 suits my current 5 speed very well, but that the 6-speed would work well with a 3.62 and my current tyre size (essentially an R300 setup) - especially as I plan power upgrades in the near future and I don't want to have a too revvy engine on the motorway - n.b my driving is mainly weekend blats incl some fast A roads and motorway, but I do plan a few track days in the summer.

Cheers - Rich

Passed my test in 1988, but still I'm learning to drive! here

Rich,

I have a 6 speed Supersport (Tim Neill's old car) which seems to have a 3.92 judging by the gearing. Great for blatting about but could be tiring on a long motorway trip.

If you want to see what a 6 speed would be like on the motorway, just leave yours in 4th (top in 6-speed is same 1:1 ratio as 4th in 5-speed) and try driving like that for a while. *biggrin*

Alan

Rich

It depends how much time you plan to spend on the motorways. My 1.4ss has a 6-spd and 3.92 LSD, driving down the French autoroutes at about 80-85 its running just under 5000 rpm. This can get tiring after a long run but the fun when you get onto the back roads/track days makes up for it 😬 😬. As Alan says try yours in 4th to see if you can live with it.

Nick