Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pressure

Delberts Wallet

How do I go about checking my fuel pressure?

I've recently gone from 1600 to 1800 (keeping the 1600 SS ECU) and fitted an adjustable FPR to up the fuel pressure. The problem is that I don;t know what pressure it is set to and even set at Max it is running lean.

Also, does anyone know what the reading should be on the Lambda for a correct mixture?

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

Normally a rover FPR is set to 3 Bar. If you increase the airflow (=> fuel flow) by a factor of 1.12 (1.8 / 1.6) then dont you need to increase the dP on the injector by 1.12² = 1.26 => 1.26 * 3 = 3.86Bar?

You could try blowing the reg open with compressed air? Otherwise borrow an Innovate LM-1 and take it for a blast and check your AFR drops to about 13 full load and down to 11 near peak power?

A friendly rolling road would be the best place to set it up.

If you try to adjust the fuel pressure at idle you will find that the pressure wont directly affect the AFR as the ECU will constantly be trimming the pulse rate to keep at 14.5

Yeah, its a bit crude but its a starting point.

Did the guys at the rolling road look at all concerned about running over 14.5 everywhere? They should have. You weren't giving it any load I hope?

(I've just done a wee calc here at work and for a given restriction the flow is indeed proportional to dp²)

• Area Representative

Gareth,

perhaps a daft question, but did you/have you got it connected the right way round?

I did witness an adjustable pressure regulator not working because it was conected back to front, a couple of years ago!

(that car has a Stack dash, and a fuel pressure sender connected to the Stack - it worked a treat, once it was connected the right way!)