Click here if you are having website access problems ×

EU2 1.4 alternator mountings

TomB

Hello, Im refitting my old 1.4 alternator to the new 1.8 block & I have transfered the old mount over to the new block. The cast bracket on the alternator seems about 5mm-8mm too wide for the bracket on the engine. I noticed this previously on the 1.4, but just put a number of washers between the castings on the alternator & the bracket attaching to the engine. Now Im putting the new engine togther on a stand, Id like to sort it properly. Am I missing some sort of spacer piece? Should I stick to the washers?

I really need some sort of exploded diagram to see what Im missing from the alternator assemnly.

Ive got the elise K series manual & the haynes 1.4 Metro manual, but there is no mention of a spacer or any decent pics. I need one- if worst case is Ill fit it with washers, measure the thickness appropriate & see if I can find someone to make up a spacer piece.

Does anyone have any lurking in a box of bit?

Gareth, Ive got the 1.8 bracket, but the older 1.4 alternator I wish to keep does not fit it, so I dont think a 1.6 bracket would help, but thank anyway.

I think I know what you mean by roll pin - is it a sleeve which fits within the hole that could be tapped out a bit? Ive found something that may work as a spacer Ive just got to do some measurements. Not tonight though.

Do you mean the front bracket hole that the long bolt that holds the alternator in with?

It measures 18mm long, by an outside diameter of 19.5mm, with an inside diameter of 10mm?

It is split to allow movement within the body of the mount? *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

• Leadership Team

Tom, I'm going by vague memory (so bare with me!) but I have removed and refitted both types this year ..........

The old 1400 alternator has a twin bolt top mounting, as is traditional with most alternators. The mounting bracket has 2 drilled legs that align with the top bosses on the alternator itself - inside these legs are metal sleeves (roll pins) that are longer than the width of the cast legs. The front mounting (pulley end) bolts simply to the bracket on the block, giving the fore/aft position of the alternator. The rear one bolts in a similar manner, but the sleeve is allowed to slide through the alternator boss to allow correct alignment. I think you maybe have the rear sleeve missing therefore washers have been used *confused*

The 1800 is completely different and is mounted on a stud at teh front - stick to the 1400 for your installation *thumbup*.

Stu.

Stu, that makes sense. I added the washers after I realised something wasnt right, now I want a better solution while its all in bits.

Any bright ideas? Other than lots if washers or making a single fat washer to fit using a nut & a grinder?

PS Stu, have you had a chance look at the head or are you still DIYing?

• Leadership Team

Neither - been to Switzerland/Austria this week, and unfortunately not for pleasure ☹️

Should get chance to have a look at weekend.

See if you can work somthing similar to the roll pin that should be fitted - even with washers the bolt diameter is not going to match the bore diameter without a roll pin fitted. Check the outside diameter that's needed and see if somewhere such as B&Q have some steel tubing that you can fashion a pin from. IIRC it shoulc be around 15mm long.

Stu.

All sorted! Its amazing what you find whilst rumaging in a mucky box filled with grimy nuts & bolts - like a 15mm tubular spacer that should be attached to an alternator!!!

Feel a berk for loosing it in my box & fitting washers for the last couple of years! hey ho, live & learn! Thanks for help anyway, now the 1.4 alt & bracket are correctly attached to new block, onto new oil pressure sender & head next!

*thumbup*