Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What oil do you use in your BEC ? [tech]

Phil

Whatever bike oil is recommended by the manufacturer/engine builder.....Not a good idea to use car oil. Infact, I know of one very highly modded BEC that blew up very soon after the owner swapped from semi-synth bike oil to Mobil1 Motorsport (having been advised not to use the Mobil1 as well). Could be purely coincidental but I doubt it as it was a pretty fresh engine which been fine for years on bike oil.

I had a superbike mechanic working for me, and he saw a customers fireblade caterham with a new engine just covered 2000 miles had a clutch slip fault, he asked whot oil we used and I told him castrol r4, he said big mistake drain it and fill with catrol semi 10-40, it did however transform the clutch operation!

Another problem with using full synth is clutch drag rather than slip, silp is usually caused my incorrect adjustment, weak springs or a worn out clutch, wear as drag can be a complete nightmare when trying to change down *mad* due to the oil haveing too much suction between the plates .

'Pinky Pics' here

A mineral or a semi will have unwanted products in them and they are left as deposits such as varnishing which I would have thought make the clutch slip, or is it a case of the higher friction required over a fully synthetic to work properly?

A fully synthetic will keep the system cleaner but will the lack of friction make the clutch slip?

I do know that the 10w/40 SG spec recomended for most bikes is not as good a quality as the 10w/40 sold for cars, SJ spec.

What is used in the race bikes and is it a similar wet clutch set up?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR