Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting of Cycle wings without the usual nuts & bolts

mark shekle

Hi,

I need to replace my cycle wings, I've noted that quite a few cars are sporting them without using the std nut & bolt fixing method, favouring the gluing alternative. Can anyone recommend any 'tried and tested' glue and name the appropriate suppliers?

Caterham had suggested either windscreen adhesive or fibreglass, any preference??

Mark

I had to face with this issue some weeks ago when I moved my 1.6K from flared wings to cycle.

I used both methods: nuts and bolt fixing and gluing.

First of all, I cut a bit from a piece of ali, bent it to get two sides at a right angle, drilled two holes on one side. This side has been bolt on the wingtay; before the other side has been glued and flooded with fiberglass inside the wing. This assembly seems to be very strong and reliable.

The result looks very nice, as screws and nuts are hidden, but wings can be removed if needed.

Robert.

I glued them in 1998, with clear silicon (same in your bathroom)

Clean the inside of the wing before (with alcool, not wisky or vodka to remove the dust and oil)

Put a lot to fit the wingstay in it.

Let them dry for one or Two days and you will never lost them

Eric

Don't speak too soon, My cycle wings were initially fitted with clear silicone and I thought they were secure.......until one went flying past my left ear and landed in a grass verge!

Replaced with copious amounts of Sikaflex which is horrid stuff to handle but sticks like s..t to a blanket. Hopefully!!!!!

Andrew