Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll bar - Road or Track Day model ?

catastrada

I decided to remove my roadsport cage and it is now sold.

Now I want to buy either the Road roll bar or the Track Day (FIA) Model.

I discovered that the road model changed (when ?) and the main pipe as bigger than the previous model. To me it looks better than before.

The Track Day now has a "X" in the back and is FIA approved.

I do Track Days quite Often, but no competition.

It's hard for me to motivate the Track Day model when I compare prices : £200 inc Vat & Delivery compared to £345. (and then I need the bootcover but I assume prices are about the same for both models).

What you guys would you do?

£150 extra for a beefieer roll bar? Dont know about you, but I value my head more than that! There have been incidents of 7 rolling on the road - Ive read about them on Blatchat. Im even half wondering about getting a cage!

I cant say definatively, but there must be reason why the club wont allow non FIA approved roll bars on its track days. My old style FIA bar looks sturdier than the equivalent age road bar.

That said, I beleive its only FIA approved with the strut brace fitted which triangulates the roll bar. Usually, they are not used on the road as you cant carry a passenger. I dont know whether the standard bar can be triangulated in this manner, someone else will know.

New FIA bar (from Caged) certainly is alot thicker than the standard. I guess you are paying for strength+petty strut+FIA sticker. I would def. go for the FIA bar if you do track days.

If not, if you put an ad in "Wanted", there might be a few people with standard bars they are happy to sell, after upgrading to FIA.

[Also, standard boot cover just about fits the "new" FIA bar.]

AB

Have a look at Fletch's photos from rolling his first car here to see if you want an FIA bar or not. Personally I'm happier with a full cage on my car, even though it's only for road use.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

• 3 weeks later...
If you have the standard boot cover it will fit over the new style FIA bar (the one with the X cross bracing) as the tube dia just fits the cover's cut outs. If you were upgrading from the std Caterham rollbar to the old style FIA bar, you had to change the boot cover too as the tube dia was significantly larger.

[if you have the standard boot cover it will fit over the new style FIA bar (the one with the X cross bracing) as the tube dia just fits the cover's cut outs. If you were upgrading from the std Caterham rollbar to the old style FIA bar, you had to change the boot cover too as the tube dia was significantly larger.]

Caterham never even offered me the choice of the "X" style bar to go with my coloured boot cover, they said I would have to have a new cover made to order and there was an extra charge for having a coloured one, bit unfair.

Jill Jud adjusted my cover for me and she did a brilliant job.

All caterhams should be sold with an FIA bar as standard.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR