Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mech Oil Pressure

wild bill

I've searched tech and though there's alot on fitting etc my question isn't to be found soooo..

Have fitted Mech OP guage from Think Auto as old CC guage was Kaput. I now show 65/70 psi on start up and about 40 -60 on driving and at idle when all heated up the pressure sits at about 25psi is this too low?

Oil is 10w 50 and is probably due for a change

Also 1.8 kseries with Apollo is 5.5 litres of oil right (sounds right from menory)

Mine sits at between 25-30 (warning light comes on at 35psi) when heated up. And 65-70 when giving it large, although I have a Pace dry sump, so can vary the top end oil pressure.

I do find that when its time for an oil change, the lower end drops a little, as does the pressure rise when the oil is new *cool*

if the switch is set to 30 or 35 psi this presumably means that when warmed up and at idle the warning light (when i fit it) will be on. I understand the switch can be set lower or higher, does anyone know how as no instructions came with the set up from Think

Also Dave, what seems right? the 5.5 litres of oil, the pressures or both?

Edited by - wild bill on 22 May 2006 10:32:07

Sorry, both *smile*. To be sure on the oil level check it in the normal way.

My pressure switch has a small hex screw between the terminals - I expect this is used to adjust the pressure (I've only just wired it up to a light, and didn't have time to adjust it)

Dave

Yes, it is the tiny socket head screw between the terminals although not sure which way to turn to increase/decrease the set pressure for it to actuate so you would need to experiment to get the correct setting.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

I have my oil pressure warning light at 35psi. It does come on at idle when hot and I ignore it.

However if it came on at 9000 rpm I would switch off "tout suite", if you see what I mean.

It's a large white "searchlight" right in front of my eyes. you can see it on the pictures of my dash.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited