Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater Matrix Replacement - Details

Apothecary

I thought this might be of use to anyone in a similar situation.

I have had a slight leak from my heater matrix over the last year so decided to source a replacement. Rather than get a complete new one from CC at ££££, or go through the trouble of having the old one pressure tested and mended (if feasble), I contacted the original manufacturer for a replacement.

Its been posted before but their contact details are:

Clayton

Hunter Terrace

Fletchworth Gate

Burnsall Road

Coventry CV5 6SP

Tel: 02476 691916

Fax: 02476691969

Email: admin@claytoncc.co.uk

I ordered on Tuesday afternoon and it arrived on Thursday morning *smile*

Mine is the fresh air type (plastic body with 7 embossed) from a 2002 car.

The model number for the matrix only is ' EP5129 Heater Element Caterham 7'

It costs £43 +VAT + P&P

Its a straight swap and went in Ok. Only problem I had was a leak from a poor fitting hose (my original) as the clips are not adjustable and I could'nt find a jubile in Halfords or B&Q yesterday *mad*. Had to borrow one from elsewhere on the car for now and its leak free 😬

Just thought it might save others some £ and hassle if in a similar situation.

Paul

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool* Pictures here

• 2 years later...

GB Man,

If I remember rightly, you have a VVC (like me) of similar age. My rubbers 😳 leading to and from the matrix were hard and perished, so before you blame the matrix, check those out and look to replace anyway.

Having said that, my matrix did spring a leak at the plate where the inlet and outlet pipes connect to the matrix. They were rusted completely - but you will need to get it out to see. If this is the same problem on yours, AND you can get that plate off (I couldn't as my corrosion was too bad through too much car washing) then Clayton said that they may be able to supply just the pipes bit for a nominal amount *thumbup*

Where am I?

Neil,

I do have VVC, well remembered.

I have taken it out to check for obvious leaks. Couldn't find any obvious signs but there was a slight mark coming from the bottom inlet/ outlet pipe.

I took these apart, the O rings looked to be in good nick so I left these alone.

I squirted some silicone between the plates and bolted it all back together. I then realised that I had early signs of HGF and never got to see if there was leaking since!!

I now have the car back and have run without the heater for nigh on a week. Just checking that there are no leaks else where so I can single out the heater matrix/ connections.

There was no rust on them so I'll try some O rings before I purchase. Hoping the silicone will have fixed it but not hedging my bets.

Sounds good. While you're at it, check the rubbers going into and out of the matrix from the control valve. If they're starting to go hard, you might as well replace as they're not too expensive and they are specific to the VVC I believe.

Where am I?

• 7 months later...
  • Area Representative

Hi Folks

Does anybody know the part number for the slightly earlier heater box as fitted to 1996 cars?

The matrix in my box has 13mm pipes rather than the 16mm ones that part number EP5129 has. EP5129 also has the pipes close together but mine are at opposite ends of the matrix. I have Phil at Clayton on the case, but we seem to be drawing a blank.

Any help gratefully received.

By the way the little plastic trim rivets that hold the box together can be replaced with some that Halfords stock in their store. The Halfords ones are larger diamter so the holes need to be enlarged. However, they do have the benfit that they are tightened with a built in central plastic screw so are easier to remove next time *wink*

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• 2 months later...

I brought one of the above mentioned Rover Mini radiators. It looks the same, you'd think it was the same, it isn't the same!

It came through the post quickly and all looked well upon opening it.

I came to fit it, pipes went on okay, fantastic. Shame it's an inch longer than the official Caterham one!! Saying this, I jammed it in the plastic '7' embossed cover and lined up the holes by flexing the plastic. Screwed it in and started the. Gives out heat just as well!

Went for a run down to Goodwood Rolls Royce and back today. Got home to find a soupçon of water left in the header tank. Lets hope my head gasket is still in place after that.

How does everyone's heater matrix mount so it stays still and doesn't flap about?

I had previous issues with the heater when I brought the car originally and I'm having the same issues now. I thought the matrix may have sprung a pin hole leak and when hot pissed out water. Seems it acturally leaks when the two inlet/ outlet pipes join the matrix. If I flex this join (matrix moving around while car being driven), water pours out, O rings don't make any difference.

I think the only fix for me is to permanently glue/ join the two sections together (removing O rings) and make it into one sealed piece so there is no joint for the water to leak from. What's the strongest glue out there to 'weld' the two plastic pieces together, needs to be able to put up with stress on joint and hold strong.

Ideas?

I can't be the only one with this issue?

David

• 1 year later...
  • Area Representative

Just spoken to them about a repalacement matrix for my 21.

Liz was very helpful and calm, there was no need to go into loads of detail, she clearly knew the details and is just checking if they have one/checking the part number and such like.

It would be fine if there was enough room for an item of twice the capacity! (In the 21 the matrix is tiny)

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 28 Jul 2011 10:51:29