Click here if you are having website access problems ×

When should one reset the ECU?

AdamQ

I don't know whether this is a numpty question or not, but I was just wondering under what circumstances one should reset the ECU?

For example, I fitted some verniers yesterday and changed the timing significantly (particularly on the exhaust side) - does such a change prompt a reset of the ECU? I'd guess so, but since my abilities with things electrical reached their peak with adjusting points on an A series, I'm not sure I'm qualified to make such a guess.

Adam

Thanks John - irrefutable logic. However, I've read stuff on TechTalk about the ECUs 'learning' and people being told to reset the ECU as a possible cure for idling problems and what have you and that suggested to me that, even though the map couldn't be altered, some responses to 'engine conditions' could be 'relearnt'. Though maybe all the threads I read related to cars with Emeralds or whatever.

Thanks again.

Adam

Thanks Nifty. Having variously seen 3, 5, 7, 11 and 13 given as the number of times one has to press the pedal, I assume it has to be a prime number greater than 2. Coupling that with the fact that the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, I'm going to try 2147483647. I'll let you know if it works in a couple of years *confused*

Adam

Agree with Oilyhands.

I was having a bit of a problem with mine a while ago. I was taking the battery master switch out every time I parked it anywhere but it kept cutting out when coming to a standstill at junctions etc. Told CC Midlands and they told me to leave master key in and carry a spare just in case. Anyway, they told me removing it froze the ECU which then could not remember the settings it last used when master key was re-inserted.

Now, I leave the key in but if I have any problems starting etc, I just reset as above *thumbup*

Adam

1400ss 6sp