Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Second-hand SLR wheels a good buy or not?

Mike Scott

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can provide some helpful advice. I’m looking at buying a second-hand set of SLR wheels (black mag centres and split rims). I’ve seen a far bit in the archives that the centres are prone to cracking. What experience have guys had of cracked centres from road and track use? Would I be better just buying new aluminium R500 wheels *confused*

Cheers

Mike

Mike I've got 2 sets of SLR wheels + 2 spare fronts, I've done a fair amount of racing, track days and at least 20K road miles and I've never had any problems.

Just make sure they have the rolled edges not the straight ones.

The one thing I would say is that they do leak a bit, over time (months not weeks) I tend to find tyre pressures do drop.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Leadership Team

Mike, I think you may need to qualify whether you are asking about the original SLR rims (made by KN, later ones had rolled edges etc) or the R500 magnesium wheels (made by MB, issues over cracked centres etc). The answers you have so far refer to both types, but not all together *confused*

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the advice, I’m not sure which make they are *confused*. They have black powder coated centres with aluminium split rims and a black central hub cover with locking bolt. The rears seem to have a rolled edge but the fronts don’t. I think they are 98 vintage so does anyone know if they are likely to KN or MB

Cheers

Mike

Is there any real difference between rolled and non rolled edges? apart from the obvious rolled bits *cool*

I believe mine are non rolled edges but despite worries when I bought the car they have been perfect, no damage, leakage, or cracking and believe it or not they are more 'naturally' balanced than my MB wheels.

Is it such a big thing to insist on the rolled edge version? *confused*