Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero fuel cap - How?

conorkaby

The cap surround is divided down the middle and the two halfs unscrew one for the inside and one for the outside. The inside bit pushes on to the steel downpipe into the tank. It is I think fair to say, one of Caterhams better bespoke parts for the car *thumbup*.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 26 Dec 2005 13:13:01

Yes, I had problems - my main recommendation is to resign yourself to getting rid of that bloody flap/restrictor in the neck straight away. If you are unlucky-enough to have had yours welded just a few mm lower down the neck than intended, you won't be able to get *any* fuel into the car whatsoever. Even if yours is welded in such a location that you can open the flap with the nose of the filler gun, you will find it much easier to fill the car with the flap removed entirely.

Other than that, try to be careful with the large rubber o-ring that seals the outer ali ring - it is very, very easy to snag and break.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

*idea*Ah yes - mine has worked immaculately in that regard - you get a bit of depressurisation on a hot day when you crack the lever.

BTW - if you are pratting around with the aero-filler/filler neck, you might as well spend the extra £15-25 and fit the 'grads' fuel-breather modification that prevents you p*ssing fuel out of a (greater than half) full tank on LH corners.

There are a few links in Techtalk if you search - easy to do, and well worth it.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles, anyone...

I have a sort of second skin/recess popriveted in place which acts as a mounting plate for the filler neck inside the boot. It seems that it will be necessary to drill the poprivets and remove the inner skin to fit the filler. Is this correct? The poprivets seem to be set at a larger diameter than the aero filler plate and the holes will be visible with the aero filler fitted.Has anyone else tackled this problem successfully? Backing plate, body filler and paint required?

Gee, Santy brought me one of those too, just today. We are somewhat behind GMT out here after all.

A quick look appeared to reveal that the rivet holes are at about the same diameter as the new mounting holes, or at least close enough to be concealed by the new filler. That same look showed me that I have the dreaded flap as well. I was kind of hoping that an export car may not have it. Rats.

Thanks for the web site. I reckon it'll be getting a few more hits in the next couple of weekends.

-------

Chris

Vitural distance is only as far as you think it is

Dogtown was / is the, umm, pet name of Santa Monica Ca. The moniker is used mostly by surfers and skateboarders (otherwise known as terrorists to the local cops). I'm w/in about 40 km. of there on the edge of the San Gabriel National forest in a neighborhood of the S**tty of Los Assholes and close to some fairly traffic-free fine mountain & hill roads. It's OK.

I'm a little worried about this upgrade. It's heavier than the Rover gas cap *eek* 😬.

-------

Chris

Vitural distance is only as far as you think it is