Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie questions

Tom_C

Without wishing to sound like a Numpty, I picked my car up (2nd hand) today, and I'd like to check a couple of things. I'm sure it's a case of TADTS, but just to be on the safe side....

1. Switches for fog light, hazard light, heated screen only light up when on. Is this correct, as hunting for the screen switch under the half tonneau was somewhat tricky.

2. Instruments mist up, esp speedo and rev counter, to the extent that they're hard to read.

3. Transmission whines in top gear, probably from diff.

Car is 05 academy if that makes any difference...

200 miles done, lots more to come if the weather stays mild over xmas 😬

Tom.

And replies in order (though mine is an older car than yours):-

1/. Don't think so. From memory at least a couple of these switches have tell-tales on them.

If you pop them (stick fingers up behind dash and gently push them) you will see if they have a secondary power supply which powers the telltale - or at least some of mine have.

2/. It's not a question of TADTS but there have been a number of reportings of this. Mine don't but I think that's just luck. If you do a search then ISTR that there are some known solutions to the problem.

3/. Absolutely normal in my opinion. Mine makes a decent amount of noise in 4th (5sp box) so that's just the rear diff. There's little (if any) sound deadening stuff on a seven + you're a LOT nearer to the noise generating bits than in most other cars.

Dave.

Check the 7FAQ (link, top-right) for #2 - basically, you drill small holes in the instruments to allow them to breathe.

#1 - ISTR that all the std. switches illuminate with the side or headlamps - but it's one of those things that escapes attention.

#3 - not noticed it on my 01 Academy car - plenty of scary noises for a new owner though.

FWIW, I don't think you'll find 5th gets used much on Academy cars on the track - top speed will be in 4th unless you are drafting someone IMHO - perhaps i t just needs running in *smile*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks all, mine seems to light up in the same way as Tweeky's Roadsport, so I guess it must be ok. Just have to learn which switch is which...

To be fair, 5th didn't get a lot of use yesterday, and I still seem to have done more than 36mpg, far better than I get from my Clio tintop.

Tom.

Point 2. My guages mist up and there are some threads on this on BC if you search. It depnds on the ambient conditions. On cold days when i have my heater (wimp) on they do mist up but it goes away after about an hour. On warm summer days (we do get the odd one in Scottylands) it doe snot happen at all. It really appaers just to be the cahnge in temperature from the car coming out of the garage when it is cooler causing some condensation. Some people apparentlly open up the back of the guages slightly to let the air in but I have't bothered as yet.

Point 3. Transmission whines - yes in 5th if revs are low. Solution *biggrin* keep in 4th and keep revs high *tongue*

If you pop them (stick fingers up behind dash and gently push them) you will see if they have a secondary power supply which powers the telltale - or at least some of mine have.

Most of the switches are illuminated when the lights are on. However if you pop the switches out beware the wiring loom is v short. Often the power supply wire comes off & it's v difficult to get it back on again without taking the scuttle off.