Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet Catches

CHip

Is there any reason the seven's bonnet uses 2x spring catches at the front and 2x over centre toggle latches at the back?

On eof my toggle latches is loose, causing the bonnet's rear edge to lift at speed, so it needs replacing.

Should I go for another toggle latch or replace both rear latches with something else?

Whilst the idea of having leather bonnet straps appeals, I was thinking of using rubber bonnet hooks here

-----------------------------------

Black grads racing 1.6 x-flow - rear facing flamethrower as standard

Se7en spotting here

Erm, this might not be the real-reason, but...

...when you crash head-on into tyre-barriers, the nose gets forced under the bonnet. Due to the springing at the front, it can lift somewhat and thereby reduce damage to the bonnet itself...

*smile*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

word of caution - check the regs and if you're in doubt check with Nicks Frost or Haryet as you don't want to be swapping them back to standard ones at Combe scrutineeting *eek* Basically the regs state that everything has to be "as standard".

ISTR seeing touring cars with spring-loaded bonnet catches, so there must be something in it - maybe it is for safety reasons.

Andrew

I can think why there are spring catches at the front. When the cars were mainly fitted with Clamshells you needed a catch that didn't extend out so far as to hit the wing. These 'springers' fit the bill whereas the pull down clips would extend too far!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Not sure about this, but I always assumed it was because the front spring catches will give a little in a front-end accident whilst still holding onto the bonnet, whereas standard clasps would just snap and the bonnet would then fly straight towards the driver's head...!

A real Lotus 7 usually has over-centre toggles front and back and on mine the n/s rear one always comes undone after 5 minutes but it doesn't rattle and in 25+ years the bonnet's not blown off yet. The front ones are judiciously placed to avoid fouling the ethnically pure clamshells.

Clamshells were created for the US market. Pure sevens have cycle wings (and a single piece of bent metal at that)

Se7en spotting here

Edited by - CHip on 9 Dec 2005 12:44:03

Attention all you clamshell lovers!

Bored with a 65mph top-speed, yet can't bear to be without your beloved wings?

Buy some Humbrol enamel-paint and draw a pair of bunny-ears on the edges of your windscreen. Throw away those clumsy appendages and enjoy your 1930's moment at Brunstrom-teasing speeds! *smile*

have you thought that the reason that all kit cars use cycle wings instead of clamshells, is that cycle wings are just, well, better 😬

Anyway, back on topic. Just checked with the Grads racing club secretary and I can't change my bonnet catches, so will have to replace my loose latch with another over centre toggle latch ☹️

Se7en spotting here

Edited by - CHip on 11 Dec 2005 22:57:24

Seem to remember (all too well) one of our unfortunate brothers on here that got out of his Cycle Winged car to adjust something after a blat under his bonnet. It was Summer so he was wearing short naturally. I can still see the horrific burns after he left most of his skin behind from his shins on the exhaust collectors!!!! I hope he made a full recovery.

Horrible,.......... and a damn good reason to have clams as a safety device. Might stop a member of Joe Public getting caught too when they look at your 'Interesting little car' that you have just left.

Just a sobering thought!

PS Did the 'Prisoner Car have cycles? Nah, so as that is the way I was introduced to the car all those years ago that's what I wanted. Not a copy of all other kit cars as they now are/look.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.