Click here if you are having website access problems ×

KV6 throttle body butterfly valves

Chris__

Here's what they should look like: here

Here's what they shouldn't: here

Symptom was an airleak, resulting in the car running on 3 cylinders. Still is now obviously, cos I haven't stopped up the holes yet.

Plastic part that's come off looks like this:here What a piece of sh*t! Luckily it didn't go into the engine, and I was able to grab it with a nifty bit of kit the mechanic I'd stopped at had.

TBH, I don't want any of these on the butterflies, in case they break up and go in the engine. Anyone replaced them? Oily, anyone, any recommendations for stopping the resultant holes up? Don't really want to take the whole throttle body apart to get to these..

Edited by - Chris__ on 10 Nov 2005 13:00:18

I think it was secured by the knackered looking plastic bits that you can see in the photo, clipping into the holes! There's not other way it could've been held on as far I can tell.. Purpose of the plastic could've been to stop metal on metal contact in the intakes? (guesswork)

The plastic was used as a partial air bypass control and for air progression at small throttle opening angles.

I immediately ripped them out of my KV6 bodies before I put them on. Carefully then soldered up the holes. No problems at all. Plus when the throttle valves are fully open with the plastic cover it pobstructs airflow.. another reason to junk them.

anxiously waiting for my new 2.3 SV

Make sure you solder both sides. Soldering both sides means the solder welds through the hole and the weld clamps against each side so you want the solder to be oversized against the hole. Clean the valve face close the holes to enable the weld to tack better. A little heat round the holes will allow the weld to tack better against the copper. Do not braze weld as the heat will bend the copper valves.

anxiously waiting for my new 2.3 SV