Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-bore allowance in Class 1

Mikey UC

Is there any re-bore allowance in class 1

I’m thinking about rebuilding the xflow over winter, now that more smoke seems to be coming out of the breather than the exhaust.

I think the first re-bore takes the xflow to 1620cc

Or should I just do it and not say anything. ( in which case I will absolutely not be re-boring the engine, no way, just keep it as it is, 1598cc that is – no re-bore here )

Thanks

My understanding (although I have stepped down) is that Class 1 regulations will be tightened for next year to allow a cheap entry into sprinting.

The intention of the class was always that cars should be standard 1.6 Xflows or Vx's, in essence ex academy scholarship cars which means 100 bhp max. I think (Mark may have more to say on the 20th) that the intention is to restrict cars back to this spec for the 2006 season. This will tighten the class up and return it to where it was a couple of years ago

Therefore your rebore will break the rules for a Class 1 car in 2006 although I have have said this is open for discussion on the 20th November.

Graham

*smile*Ex Competition Secretary - waiting for a new portfolio??? *smile*

Mikey,

The simple answer to this is no. Up to 1600cc is Class 1. Over 1600cc is Class 2/3. Precisely as the regs state.

I suggest that most people faced with this situation would not do a simple minimum rebore to 1620cc but look to take it up to 1700cc and improve the components etc to give more power/torque at that level. This would obviously put you into Class 2/3 depending upon tyres.

All of the Championship regs rely on competitor trust and a largely self-policing environment through scrutineers, protests and appeals. However before you get too casual on this I suggest you read section O of the Blue Book. We don't want to see you in the back pages of Motorsport Now alongside the handbag waving Kart dads do we! We are meant to be having fun!

Brian

I can understand it if Mikey feels a bit hard done by on this, but it is worth pointing out that any event or series where the class breaks are on engine capacity has no leeway (unlike say a class where the rules specify e.g. 'up to 2 litre with a rebore allowance of 0.5mm'). So if the rules say up to 1600cc then that's what they are and that's the way of the world and not just the L7Club. The rules could be changed to specify e.g. "stock up to 1600cc engines with a maximum permissible rebore of +0.5mm" or something...

Mike

So theres no confusion the current regs state:

Class 1:

Lotus or Caterham Sevens powered by

single cam engines up to 1600c.c.

Tyres to be listed in 2004 or 2005 MSA Technical Regulations List 1A only.

Vehicles powered by non car derived

engines are not allowed in this class.

Graham

*smile*Ex Competition Secretary - waiting for a new portfolio??? *smile*

Thanks chaps

Will certainly leave everything standard until the regs are discussed.

I will also replace the Burtons catalogue (current toilet reading material) for the time being.

(Tuning catalogue – not menswear)

The class 1 competitors (ello you orrible lot) have made my first year sprinting really good fun, which is why I would like to stay in this class if possible.

Nitros is not mentioned in the class 1 regs
😬

I was thinking along the lines of buying up unused bonfire night rockets and strapping them to the roll bar, just for a little help getting off the line.

Gordon, yes we need to attract more people to class 1, perhaps if we explained the benefits a little more – 20% more track time, chance to observe passing local flora and forna while on your hot lap etc. ( quite closely if using A539s)

Maybe if there are only a few of us in class 1 running next year we ought to coordinate which events we all turn up for.

Getting a class win at Wiscombe was very nice, but it lacked a certain competitive element being the only class 1er. Although getting up the hill in one piece was an achievement – and I did sort of justify the 20 points by driving to the event in the Seven, getting lost in Devon on the way, arriving late in the dark, putting the tent up in the rain, breaking down on the Sunday, waiting 3 hours for the AA to get me on a pickup, and listening to the AA driver on the route back to Reading giving his opinion on the best car parks in the west of England for ‘dogging’, ( I’ve got quite a comprehensive list if anyone’s interested).

No word from the Jenkins clan...have you noticed Mikey

Honestly can’t think what you mean Gordy *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

you think you deserve a class win for that....bah....when I were a lad( goes into up north mode) that was nothing...I had to push te caar te meet and stooooookke boiler at dawn fu steeam to mek me timed run....and push te car um....

Good idea with coordinating events....its difficult for me to do all of them, but agree that a win as the only entery is a little "hollow"...the best answer is to drum up more class 1 trade....so there's plenty of cars anyway...I still think its a great class and as Matt and Charles show very quick too....

Gordy