Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best non cross ply List 1b tyres

Paul Bowden

I ran the Kumho's in the softest compound at Curborough. My car pulls 98 over the line has standard track front suspension and no LSD and it ran a 59.04 double lapper. That was quicker than R400's with ACB10's so they must be pretty good.

The tyres are very soft but don't have the initial bite of an ACB10 (a24) tyre and they are heavier. They also seem to start to degrade quicker but this could be caused by the huge understeer my car suffers from.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
It has been confirmed that crossplies , have been banned in the championship I compete in. I bought the CR 28 sports a while back and got to use them last weekend , to good effect. So I now need something to replace the ACB10's. Any news on A24, CR500's , or is that just a wind up. Is there a consensous that the Kumho V70As is the tyre to go for. I have 13" wheels, in 6 inch width, although I could go wider as I have split rims, so what size would be best ....what happens if you put super wide on the front 215? as well as the back.....I have approx 150 bhp at present

Paul, Yep I got the same note as you today re the tyres in our regional championships. Next season should be interesting and much closer as a result although it means more expense for many ☹️. I will have to decide what to do as well but I suspect I will stay with the Toyo 888 as I don't see any of the Yoko's being any quicker and can't run to CR500's at the moment *thumbup*

BTW great performance on Sunday at Debden. It was very wet wasn't it ? I couldn't see to drive fast as my eye glasses were hopeless in that rain and had to take them off with made seeing things very dodgy so just went slow 😳

Edited by - Graham Perry on 5 Oct 2006 22:51:57

Be aware of one thing: I normally use the Kumo's as a road tire, medium at the back and soft at the front. The day I needed to renew my licence it was +30deg Celcius and I took the Seven but forgot to change the tires ... the 20min practical part of the test totally used up my front left tire (only 500 road miles old) but I have to say that it stuck to the track wonderfully and I lapped all of the others once and a few even twice *wink* *wink* The last 5 min it got a bit wobbly though so best not to use them in too hot conditions!