Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oh dear PROBLEM NOW FOUND

wild bill

GO TO LAST POST I had a good blat on Saturday, went to put car away and it didn't sound right

started it again Sunday AM and it sounds like bottom end is gone so

Engine was 1.8 Supersport now has vhpd head and throttlebodies car is rev limited to 7400 so how much is a replacement bottom end and presumably it's worth upgrading as the engine will be out anyway, What sort of damge am i looking at where is the best place to source the bits

Edited by - wild bill on 2 Nov 2005 16:34:56

No not yet so it may not be as bad as it sounds. Having driven it it sounds like engine is running on 3 cylinders however i won't know until i get the thing apart exactly what the prob is. At least it's winter time so i can take time over it and i live bang next door to a garage that does alot of work on Sevens so they can get the thing apart and diagnose exact prob. Mechanic has listened to it this morning and says it sounds like bottom end. Still this is the joy of seven ownership

Charlie

When car was started on Saturday evening it sounded as if it was running on 3 cylinders

Upon start up this morning the car starts with difficulty and then there is an intermittent clank from somewhere inside but the engine is still running. Turned it off very quickly and didn't rev it at all

Phil The garage owner has had a listen and thinks it sounds like the bottom end but without getting it into bits i won't know, however if it means a new bottom end (which presumably is a worse case scenario ) i was wondering about cost and is it worth upgrading to a stronger set up to deal with the current horses and any i might add in the future

That was what made me think '3 cylinders firing maybe i'ts just a broken piston' as they are not forged. Engine has been treated well by me (not thrashed from cold oil changes frequently etc etc) but who knows what went before. Never mind it's only a bit of metal and at least i can afford to repair it. Also if i get stuck in it'll get my mechanical knowledge up

The rev limit is the same as it was with the original supersport conversion but i kinda knew it would eventually give up. Rolling road showed 163 bhp but they are usually 10bhp lower than the rollingroad at emerald. Compression test and sump off is first then i'll go from there. Come on then, how much are forged pistons and what else will be worth doing for reliability. I don't need more power. I'm starting to get upgrade excitement but i'd better not tell the wife *tongue*

• Support Team

Why not go for a Scholar 1900 conversion? This with a set of forged pistons and your exisiting head and TBs should give you an excellent engine. With BP285H cams you'll be up over 200bhp. The pistons that Scholar supply are Pistal slipper pistons and I am told the engine would need refreshing every 15k-30k miles depending on use. However I understand you can now get Omega pistons in the required 82mm which might be a better bet. Unless you want to rev over 8000rpm, you don't "need" a steel crank or rods but the "single tang" design of rods is supposed to be better.

Scholar EVO2 1900 block/liner conversion (exchange) including pistons - £1100

Second hand single tang rods - £100?

Balance Engine - £180

Sundries £200

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hmmm

The pistons that Scholar supply are Pistal slipper pistons and I am told the engine would need refreshing every 15k-30k miles depending on use

I would be surprised if the Pistals were Ok for that mileage, I would say more like 7,000 miles for pistons ?. Early days yet though and not that many in use .

There is a halfway-house between standard and forged pistons - MGTF160s...

Still need to get Oily to remind me what the limits are - but as he sold me the bits and it currently runs to 180+bhp and around 7.5k, I hope and trust I'm not overdoing it... *smile*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Balance Engine - £180

Woooaah! That's almost exactly twice what the Worcestershire crowd pay...

I had my crank, front pulley, flywheel and clutch cover done for about £60ish - V7SLR had this plus his rods (and pistons?) for his 1.9 scholar done for around £90ish at the same place. 'Amusingly', my assembly came out slightly better than his, but then my rods/pistons are a completely unknown quantity in balance terms.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

so

when the bottom end comes off what piston set up is going to give me reliability coupled with fast road use, i don't need to rev more than the 7400 max it's at at the mo and i don't want to be refreshing every few thousand miles. I am maechanically sympathetic so i never rant the pants off it until warmed up properly but might as well change bits whilst i'm in the mood and the long winter evenings loom.

Mine is soft cut at 7,650 with a max at 7,750. I hit the limiter fairly regularly *eek*

Yeh Myles but wht you have not said is that it was done on a set of batroom scales!! 😬 😬 😬

Thinks of the old joke about "can I weigh these in the intrests of medical science"

Wahey!!!! 😳

Grant

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Walker is due to come over and remove the head this week to establish exactly what has caused the prob. No compression in Number 2 and something has mashed the end of the plug ☹️ but until it's off it's all conjecture but i am really missing being on the road still i'm sure it'll be sorted in a couple of weeks or so

Bill

When nthe upgrade was done a shiny new airbox was fitted and a piece of this fell off and was then sucked in to number 2 ☹️ However it would appear that damage is not too bad and i would like to say a big ta to Rob Walker who came over and spent an evening getting the head off to locate the problem.

Yep, bent valves and peppered combustion chamber/piston crown. I am very disappointed the fixings for the airbox should not be able to come loose and enter the engine. Bad design and all the fixings had a liberal coating of loctite. IMO the airbox construction is too thin and the box resonates the fixings then fret into the soft ali backplate and then come loose. I shall be modifying my own airbox before it hits the roads again as this just won`t do. *mad* *thumbdown*