Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash Helmet

Ozzy

Where can I go to buy a crash hat? I don't want to buy one over the internet, as I want to see what I'm getting, and try it on. Also, I don't want to spend a fortune, as I'll only have to use it 4/5 times a year. I'm told bike helmets won't pass any scrutineering on track days, as they're not RAC approved. Is that the case 🤔

Located roughly around Aylesbury/milton keynes area.

Any ideas 🤔

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

Helmets don't generally get scrutineered on TDs - it's only sprinting and competition that you really need to worry about that for.

A bike helmet should be fine - but this topic has been covered many times before - try a search in TT or Chitchat.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Ozzy,

I agree with Myles - do a search, there have been lots of threads in the past covering this.

For track days you generally don't need a fully approved one, but if you intend racing in teh future then you WILL need an approved one.

Bike type are also o.k. to use - though Snell 95 (?) std or above is recommended.

Your choice on getting fireproof lined helmet - these are for cars and tend to be more expensive (as less are sold). IMO you'd get adequate (though not as good) protection from most things by using non-flameproof helmet and nomex balaclava.

Please note before deciding, read more on blatchat - I'm definitely no expert.

SO .. .. .. - see other threads in Tech Talk and in Chat chat, there have been lots over the past year or two (and some of them actually agree with eachother 😬). A quick search should turn up lots.

Dave

Thanks for the pointers Guy's. It's only the fun events I'm interested in, not any competition stuff. Could'nt possibly afford to keep rebuilding the car 😬

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

tend to be more expensive (as less are sold).

...I expect the cost of certification comes into it somewhere...

If you do go for a certified helmet (of any kind) bear in mind that anything that has a UK certificate is classed as an item of safety wear (and attracts 0% VAT as a result) and anything that has only a foreign certification (e.g. Snell) is classed as an evil foreign luxury import and attracts 17.5% theft...

Gordon Brown - you're a sillywig... *mad*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

In MK/Aylesbury area definitely GPR at Silverstone. Agree with all the above advice too. Sparco balaclava is not bad - seams on the outside. I tried the CarbonX one recently and it was uncomfortable as hell.

As Myles says, the "you've only got one head" debate has been had many times on here, so a quick search should bring up a wealth of info. FWIW I bought an Arai GP5 for various reasons (including wanting to use it with Hans device) but I bought my "passenger" helmet which only gets very occasional use from Natasha Moore at Motorsport Events on one of their trackdays - £60 IIRC (bike helmet) and it's fine for the limited use I put it to.

Andrew

GPR do a whole range of prices, I'd say 4/5 times a year is quite a lot considering you wont exactly be hanging around when you're on track, dont scrimp. You'll struggle to find a cheaper price as GPR and thieves have the market sewn up.

I asked GPR a few weeks ago in the shop about a new helmet as mines 4 years old and Snell 2000 std. They advised me to stay put as there is no sign of the 2000 std being phased out. I only went in to browse but when they offered me a current spec race suit half price I couldn't resist. They do have some bargains occasionally. Go along try a few out and decide what you want. Then wait until january and go to the Autosport show where GPR and d. thieves will both have large stands and buy your lid there with a bit of a discount. I did that and bought the outgoing bell model with a 1/3 off the price.

BC

Ozzy,

no expert on the standards at all but everyone has said it already, there are lots of posts on this very subject in the archives.

If you want a few guidelines for checking to see if a helmet fits or not drop me a blat mail and I will send you a word document wth a few pointers. The most important thing is to get a helmet that fits properly not one that looks good.

Duncan

I've seen some pretty "firm" stops after offs on track days and I would recommend you always buy the best you can afford as you only have the one head issued per life. The minimum would be BS (can't remember) Type A or A/R. Also ideally the fully enclosed helmet for a car should have the narrow aperture re reducing risk of adverse contact of face with steering wheel.

C7 CDW

That's a very kind offer Dave, but on this occasion I may have to decline. I can think of less painful ways to find a suitable helmet 😬

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport