Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cosworth visit.

AMMO

Had a nice time today at Cosworth. I was very fortunate to be invited for a look at some of the things they are up to.

Saw the 200 and 260 bhp Duratec engines being produced for Caterham. Cosworth dry sump looks nice. Also saw a 300bhp Duratec 2.3 Formula Atlantic engine on the dyno.

Discovered that my 2 litre Duratec fitted to my Caterham makes the same bhp as a Cosworth F1 engine! But only a 7,000 rpm where they both make around 220 bhp. The V10 F1 engine then proceeds to rev to 18,000 rpm where it makes 840 bhp. Sounded absolutely awesome.

Was allowed to photograph some (but not all) of the Duratec stuff but F1 was strictly off limits.

Last time I was at Cosworth was in 1984. Has changed abit since then. Nice museum full of engines.

Nice to see the Cosworth guys really enthusiastic about the Duratec.

As I type I have a stupid grin on my face. Days don't get much better than this.

AMMO

Hi Mike

Worked out that your engine probably makes around 140 bhp per litre. Cossy F1 is 280 bhp / litre. I find this a little difficult to get my head around!

Also taking an educated guess at the bore, the stroke must be extremely short. Probably around 40 to 50 mm. Big pistons, big valves. Would love to know what the cams are like in terms of lift and duration. Would definately like to learn more.

If only I could have been left alone with one in bits and some measuring instruments.

Cosworth use a flowbench. I didn't get to see this but apparently it was built ages ago inthe Duckworth era. The F1 heads were interesting as were the pneumatic valve "springs" which are kept topped up by a small bottle of compressed gas.

Still thinking of all the nice kit I saw. Didn't want to go home. Still think I was lucky to see this. The sound of an F1 engine on full noise is something I will not forget in a hurry.

AMMO