Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How hot do exhausts get?

shn7

I'm looking for some high temperature sealant to use to seal the joints between the primaries and the collector on my Powerspeed 4:2:1 system. I've found a few that arerated up to 300C but I don't know how hot the pipes get.

Any ideas? Anyone measured the temp with one of those infra red pyrometer thingies?

Steve.

Edited by - Steve Newman on 25 Jun 2005 07:22:47

Bob,

No cat so not a problem.

Martin,

That's what Dave used when he fitted mine 500 - 600miles ago and it's leaking from at least two of the joints. Hence I'm looking for something better.

Steve.

Dont know if this helps.

My xflow on carbs have exhaust manifold temperature in the region of 250 degree celcious. Meassured at idele speed with a termocouple. Not to precise but my purpose was not to measure the precise temperature but to assess the exhaust temperature from the individual cylinders.

Jorgen

As I've posted elsewhere - I use instant-gasket available at Halfrauds. It lasts for a while - but if you've got movement in the joints (and you will have if you've got a gap) then nothing lasts forever.

I fillet the gap with sections of beer-can - but again, it's only temporary and needs redoing every so often.

I started with Exhaust Gum - but it's useless (worse-than) - it dries to a solid and then crumbles in no time flat. Absolute waste of money. I can't actually see an application (other than heating-flues) where there would be an absence of vibration. Pah.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles this is getting wierd - first its fuel filler flaps now its exhausts!

Nice to know exhaust gum is useless. i thought as much last night as i took my Cat off and fitted the CC supplied 4-2-1 adaptor. The gum has now dried and is crumbling nicely ! As for using B&Q silicone sealant I'm not convinced that will be much better. I'll ask the manufacturer tomorrow if they think its up to the job and post the answer here.

Incidentally - by removing the Cat do i need to do anything else to the car ie engine tune wise? Numpty question i know but its only 2 weeks old. ( Mind you 1800 miles in 12 days ain't bad going...)

Myles,

I'd read you site about this which is why I've started researching trying to find a VHT sealant that remains flexible.

I've got a short list if 2 at the moment:

1. Everbuild HEATMATE here rated to 300C

2. HT Flexseal Silicone Sealant here rated to 350C but 3 times the price.

3. Oh did I say two options, well never mind - an Intumescent sealant that expands when exposed to heat above here but I don't have any temperature ratings for this and worry about it expanding into the pipes/exhaust and causing a problem.

If I've not heard from Powerspeed in the morning I'll try and get time to phone Dave and seek his views.

Steve.

Just bought some Wynns gasket maker which is rated to 270C with 300C intermittent. This was easy to obtain so I will try it. If that fails then I'll look again.

BOSS do you know the Loctite product number? Is it 5920 which I read about this morning but couldn't find when looking this morning.

Steve.

I don't think that you will get a paste to do the job as the exhaust movement will defeat any application.

Myles has hit on one approach, ie the infill with a bit of beercan, but what you really need is a flexible gasket to fill the gap, sort of thing you will see on boiler bodies, problem with that is getting it into location.

The ultimate solution would be to find an outfit with pipe rollers and get them to redo the male and female ends to form a good fit, the exhaust deposits will take up the rest.

Paul M.

IMO, the tubes are already quite a close fit, if they were made any tighter I don't think I'd be able to get the exhaust together or take it apart again! Mine does leak a little because the fit is not gas-tight but to be honest there is not much of a gap. Also I am not entirely convinced that the leak is the source of whatever noise caused me to be black flagged at Donington - I still need to talk to Dave about it. Noise apart - I am very pleased with the exhaust, particularly the appearance and extra performance.

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here