Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis Numbers

Delberts Wallet

After looking at JaseB's thread on HPC and a link to Chassis numbers has made me look at the Chassis number for my car and I have a couple of Q's

1 *arrowright* What does Complete knock down mean as a build type 🤔

2 *arrowright* What is an alternative chassis 🤔

Just wondering

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

• Area Representative

Gareth,

The CKD reference means that the whole car was purchased as a series of kits from the onset i.e. in one go, for the buyer to assemble and get a current prefix registration. This is obviously different to a starter kit whereby the kits may have been purchased individually or together and one or more parts may not be new. Hence the problem with obtaining a certificate of newness with a starter kit whereas a CKD comes complete with one.

No idea on the alternative chassis bit though!

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

According to Chris Rees book 'Caterham Seven - the official story of a Unique British Sportscar' - 'A' denotes non-HPC/Clubman/Racecar. This is the only reference I have come across that describes the A denotation, so make of it what you will.

If i recall my two friends with Caterham Fireblades have Alternative chassis but I also came across a VX car with A that was built from a starter which would suggest that the A chassis are those sold for a variety of engines - or built with engine undetermined. But if yours is complete knock down and A then that potentially throws it open *confused*

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 31 May 2005 21:54:09