Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Damn CRB

Delberts Wallet

Dear All,

2003 1.8 Xpower SV 6 speed 32,000 miles.

My CRB started making odd noises in October 2006 in the Loire Valley. When home I sprayed some of my ptfe Cycle chain stuff (GT85) down the hole where the clutch cable goes covered with the rubber cover. Problem solved. It has since occured again and responded to this treatment, but in over 7000 miles driven last year it only happened once and again cured by a quick squirt. Guess the ptfe is lubricating the CRB. Should not effect the clutch friction pads as only sprayed when pedal not depressed and therefore clutch fully engaged.. No signs of clutch slip ever afterwards. So give it a squirt, Expect WD40 will do the same.

HUGH ROBINSON

Chelmsford

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, Hugh. If your squealing noise is the same as the one I suffered from, I think it's probably due to the metal CRB housing rotating against the plastic carrier. That's what the INA techies suggested to me some years ago, adding that it indicated loss of grease from the bearing (itself caused by overheating, caused in turn by lack of pre-load). If so, I guess you're lubricating this mating surface (as you surmise), thereby eliminating the noise. But whether you're fixing the inherent problem, or simply treating the symptoms, I'm not so sure.

JV