Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailering 7's.

Jules Martin

Some of you guys must have experience of trailering your Sevens (as opposed to towing, which is a different subject !)

What is the best way;- with the hood up ?, with the sidescreens off and the tonneau on ?

Also, do any of you put a cover over the car ? - I would have thought the latter would be a bit unaerodynamic and noisy.

Before I come in for a load of "why don't you drive the bloody thing" stick, the Nordschleiffe is a heck of a long way to drive in unpadded carbon-fibre seats and I want to make sure I can get it home if I er, make an error of judgement !

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jules

• 3 weeks later...

Jules,

What trailer have you got and what are the dimensions I should be looking for ? I have looked about a bit and new trailers seem to be over £1k - I'm considering renting one for the few abroad trips that I will make.

Cheers,

Robin.

Robin, I bought a brand new "Brian James" "Minno" trailer. BJ trailers are the best in the UK for car transport, and the "Minno" was specifically designed for the Caterham.

It's a beautifully balanced trailer that's user friendly and easy to maintain. I used it for the trip to the Nurburgring where we were doing up to (and sometimes over),100mph and it was as steady as a rock.

It cost just a tad less than £2000.00

If you live in the SE, I'm sure we could come to an amicable arrangement !

(ok Paul !!!!).

Cheers,

Jules

Jules, you are very generous !! I do intend to buy one but it might be a worthwile exercise to try yours and then buy one.

Now all I've got to do is persuade the girlfriend to put a towbar on her car !!

Do you know the weight of the trailer ?

Edited by - pfreeman on 23 May 2000 17:47:07

Paul,

Have you ever thought of buying her a new dress, wining & dining her for a few weeks to amass lots of brownie points, then when she says no buy her a helmet and set of overalls and encourage her to sprint the car which you will, of course, pay for - might just work. Good luck!

Folks,

I've checked around for hiring trailers and £20 £35 for a weekend seems about right. For that price I could get to use it 100 times before approaching the cost of a new trailer.

Have a bit of a problem getting a towbar for a 2 door STI Imprezza though - can't find anyone in the UK to supply or fit one so far. I think for foreign trips, I might end up hiring a people carrier with a tow bar, that way I get to blat the 7, get there in comfort, take some mates and bring back copious amounts of decent booze.

Anna, I'm still not convinced your surname isn't Wilkin, your humour is so identical it's untrue. I'll send the Anna I know a text msg to her mobile and see if you get it !

The problem with hiring is a) you will inevitably come across a time when you cannot get the trailer, b) the one you get is a tatty old heap of junk, in which case c) you may not trust that the trailer is safe. Personally, for £1500, a new Brian James hydraulic tilt bed trailer seems like cheap piece of mind.

As far as tow bars are concerned, I don't know what the differences between 2 door and 5 door cars are, but I have a tow bar on my STI version V 5 door. Does it haul!! Even with a car on the back, it'll still leave most traffic for dead from the lights, and 100mph cruising is easy. Does use up the go juice though at such speeds. Try speaking to Graham at Humphreys & Foulkes on 01686 625316. They only charged me £150 (admittedly when supplying a new car.) They know their stuff, so if it can be done, they'll know how.

Robin, Keith is absolutely right. I have only hired a trailer three times, the first I missed my ferry because the trailer company said they had one, but when I turned up to collect it, they had let it to someone else and I had to scramble around to find one. The second yime the trailer was old and ten miles up the A21 I found one of the wheels was punctured. When I took it back they tried to keep my deposit saying I had "kerbed" it,- which I had not.

On the third occasion when I checked my credit card account they had charged me twice and it took 2 1/2 months to get my money back. So take heed, the money to purchase may be high but the trailer has a reesidual value and the convenience factor is paramount.

Jules

Keith, Jules,

Many thanks for your useful feedback. I'll check with my local hirer on the quality and availability for hiring. My main concern with buying a trailer is I don't really want to put a tow bar on my Scooby, for the limited use that I'll use it. Though to be honest it would be a good backup car in the event of the 7 being unuseable while on another continent !

Keith, Jules,

Many thanks for your useful feedback. I'll check with my local hirer on the quality and availability for hiring. My main concern with buying a trailer is I don't really want to put a tow bar on my Scooby, for the limited use that I'll use it. Though to be honest it would be a good backup car in the event of the 7 being unuseable while on another continent !

Anna,

That could be read a number of ways:-

Is it that you want me to come ?

Or, am I not a real devotee ?

Or, best of all, are you inviting me to be a real devotee and the chance to meet you "human like" ?

The answer to your question is that when I get Gerard off my back from people dropping out for Spa I;'ll broach the "Le Sept" question. Of course I'ds love to come.

LOL

Jules